Crackling audio, particularly BGM but perhaps also effects

Post your woes here and we will do our best to sort them out

Moderator: Admins

djjd42

Crackling audio, particularly BGM but perhaps also effects

Postby djjd42 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Having just purchased the game, I fired up the latest Mac beta yesterday and noticed while playing through the first bits of the game that the audio, particularly the BGM but perhaps also the sound effects, was crackling. No other apps were running at the time (aside from the standard bits of the operating system, of course), and the game was otherwise behaving fine. The crackling itself was quite subtle, not any harsh glitching or anything like that, but annoying enough to notice and detract from the experience.

If anyone else has run into this with Frozen Synapse and has some suggestions I'd appreciate them.

For the Mode 7 folks, here are some minimal system details: MacBook Air with 2.13 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, SSD, OS X 10.6.7.
The game was running full-screen at the native resolution of 1440x900 (x32).
No peripherals attached.
Running on battery.

If you would like more detail, more specific testing, etc. let me know and I'll help out where I can.
Omroth
Site Admin

Re: Crackling audio, particularly BGM but perhaps also effec

Postby Omroth » Sun May 15, 2011 9:15 am

Hi djjd42.

Please delete frozensynapse/openal32.dll, and rename wrapoal.dll to openal32.dll - this should fix your problems.

Thanks,
Ian
djjd42

Postby djjd42 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:09 am

Thanks for the tip. I was tied up with other things today but I'll see how the game runs during my commute tomorrow and will give that change a try.
djjd42

Postby djjd42 » Sat May 21, 2011 6:33 pm

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this, but I ended up playing without sound to avoid carrying headphones during my commute this week and only this morning cranked FS up with sound to see if I could see if your recommended fix works.

(As a reminder from my first post, just in case it is relevant given the fact that you've asked me to rename .dll files: this is all on OSX.)

I've browsed around in the FrozenSynapse folder and even cracked open the .app bundle and took a look in the folders within. I definitely found some files related to OpenAL, but only because you seem to have included source files in your distributed .app bundle for some reason, and I haven't seen anything related to "openal32.dll" or "wrapoal.dll" so far. I hate to ask a potentially stupid question, but where are these two files located?

Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated, as in the meantime I'm generally resorting to playing without sound and, as much as sound is not 100% essential in a game like FS, I do miss the nice music and sound effects. :)
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Sat May 21, 2011 11:26 pm

Hi djjd42.

I believe this issue is fiex with the latest OSX build - can you redownload it and tell me if it is not?

Thanks,
Ian
red5thedragon

Postby red5thedragon » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:44 am

I am using windows 7 64-bit with an x-fi titanium sound card and I am also having this issue. From time to time, the music gives a crackling sound. It is irritating. I have a steam version and there is no wrapoal.dll.
RichardBorey

Re: Crackling audio, particularly BGM but perhaps also effects

Postby RichardBorey » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:24 am

Yeah, it was experimental at best. I too got the weird distortion on android with low latency audio enabled, but it was significantly reduced without low latency audio.

Check this useful links :

https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/4050
http://www.headphonesencyclopedia.com/best-wireless-gaming-headsets/

Return to “Technical Support”