What to do if Frozen Synapse won't start

Post your woes here and we will do our best to sort them out

Moderator: Admins

Omroth
Site Admin

What to do if Frozen Synapse won't start

Postby Omroth » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:28 am

If Frozen Synapse won't start for you:

1. Please update your graphics card drivers - 80% of non-starts are due to this.
2. If you have an X-Fi sound card please update your drivers
3. If the game still won't start see if you have the opengl problem here: http://forums.mode7games.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2170

Thanks,
Ian
blazej

Re: What to do if Frozen Synapse won't start

Postby blazej » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:17 am

Hi,

I tried all three options, to no avail...

I have an HP Slate with Intel's GMA 500. As far as I can tell, I have the latest drivers. Frozen Synapse runs (the process is active) but does not display anything. I ran fsGFXTest.exe as indicated, and it turned out that glew32.dll is missing.

Is there anything I can do?

Best,
blazej
seanowns

Postby seanowns » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Also, I can't get this to work.

I am on a higher-end gaming laptop with a NVIDIA GTX 460m. Everything is as updated as it can be. The game is RUNNING as I can hear the sound, but there is no way to see any visuals or even have the app on top of the desktop running. Lastest video drivers 275.33 yada yada.
Lassilas

Postby Lassilas » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:25 pm

Exactly the same problem here. Game starts but without any visuals. Very disapointing. Using Windows 7 64bit, Nvidia 460 GTX, latest drivers. Please help!!!
seanowns

Postby seanowns » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:13 pm

Ok, it seems we have duplicated the error with the same hardware. Any way someone from FS could help fix this issue, or even respond to the thread? I posted quite a while ago...
starfox

Postby starfox » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:28 pm

I have tried all the suggestions above, and the game still won't work for me.

Longer version: I downloaded the game through steam after purchasing it from the humble bundle. It worked fine until I tried to update video driver for another reason, whereupon my system blue-screened and rebooted. After this, Frozen Synapse fails to start. From steam, I get the "Preparing to launch" dialog, frozensynapse.exe appears in my task manager for a few seconds, then disappears. I later successfully updated the video driver. I verified the steam files and found some corrupted ones, which steam re-downloaded. After that didn't work, I completely blew away FS and reinstalled from scratch, which also failed to get the game running. As far as I can tell, everything works but Frozen Synapse. The three suggestions above did not get the game running, however the torque game builder link seems to be down now, so I haven't tried that.

I am running windows 7 and an ATI mobility radeon hd 5450 video card.
KillerKlown

Postby KillerKlown » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:05 pm

starfox wrote:I have tried all the suggestions above, and the game still won't work for me.

I believe you have the same problem i just solved: bad opengl drivers from the latest catalyst (11.10). What I did was getting the previous atioglxx.dll from the 11.9 install I had. You can start installing them, then cancel the installation to have the folders.

Go to your extracted folders and inside search for atioglxx.dl_ copy it to C:\ or anywhere you want. Now open your command prompt and type or paste this line "C:\expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll". Finally copy the atioglxx.dll that you just created and paste it in your Frozen Synapse base folder.

Alternatively you could install the Catalyst 11.9 I suppose.

Hope that helps...
starfox

Postby starfox » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:23 am

That didn't fix the problem. Still the same result. Has mode 7 given up on this?
Chrono280

Postby Chrono280 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Having a similar problem.

Frozen Synapse ran great on my laptop when I was running Vista 64 bit, but since upgrading to Win 7 Pro 64 bit it doesn't run at all.

The game does not start. It doesn't hang or appear to run in any way. Nothing happens when the EXE is run. The Task Manager reports that the FrozenSynapse process runs for about a second then it disappears. I have tried running in administrator mode as well. The game was installed to the default directory using the fsclient.exe link found here (http://www.frozensynapse.com/fsFriend.html).

The system specs are:
Toshiba Satellite Intel Core 2 Duo 2 ghz T6400
4gb ram
AMD Radeon Mobile HD 3650 with drivers up to date (4/2009) and latest version of Catalyst installed
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
hmmmlawnmower

Postby hmmmlawnmower » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:14 am

I've tried everything suggested in this thread as well as a bunch of threads on the Steam forums and I still can't get it to work. It shows up in Task Manager as a process but then it disappears after a couple seconds.

Return to “Technical Support”