SOLUTION (partial): Stop asking me to games when I'm red!!

Post your woes here and we will do our best to sort them out

Moderator: Admins

Omroth
Site Admin

SOLUTION (partial): Stop asking me to games when I'm red!!

Postby Omroth » Fri May 13, 2011 8:49 am

Guys, we're working on various aspects of the matchmaking and I understand that many find it very annoying to be bombarded with requests when they're playing single player and do not want them.

For now, the solution is to simply play offline.

Please rest assured that I'm aware of how people feel about this, and I am looking into a better solution.

Ian
bubleeshaark

Re: SOLUTION (partial): Stop asking me to games when I'm red

Postby bubleeshaark » Fri May 13, 2011 9:32 pm

May I also add that many of us are annoyed by the pop-up asking if we want to play a game that doesn't go away until we click "Okay" or "No Thanks". I think the request should go away when somebody else has already accepted the match.

Perhaps a personal option to turn off all requests?
Impul5se

Postby Impul5se » Tue May 31, 2011 12:42 pm

Hey, this happened to me last time I logged in as well, but it seemed to fix itself once I scrolled through the match-making options. Red, Orange, Green then back to Red. Either there weren't any matches for a while or that fixed it for now at least!
Momentai
Miir

Postby Miir » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:42 pm

This must be the most annoying bug/feature i've ever encountered. Seriously, it really destroys my feeling for an otherwise good game. I would really, REALLY like to be able to plan my moves in multiplayer in peace without these "challenge received" messages popping up every 10 seconds. My modus is in red, i try shifting through them and going back to red and the messages still keep popping up.

Why not disable the stupid message altogether? Or at least an option to do so. I don't see why anyone wants to get it though, every time i have clicked ok (and i have tried to be fast) it only says, someone else has accepted! Well, DON'T ask me then!!!!

I'm sorry for sounding really pissed off for something that little, but it really gets to me.
carpii

Postby carpii » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:59 am

Miir wrote:This must be the most annoying bug/feature i've ever encountered. Seriously, it really destroys my feeling for an otherwise good game. I would really, REALLY like to be able to plan my moves in multiplayer in peace without these "challenge received" messages popping up every 10 seconds.

Ah cmon, dont you think you're over-reacting just a little?

The whole reason you even GET a multiplayer game quickly, is because of the alert system.
I'd much rather have the minor annoyance of a popup in the bottom corner, than have to wait 20 minutes for the server to find me an opponent.

Just learn to ignore it, or increase your resolution so it takes up less screen space. Its no big deal
zircher

Postby zircher » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:05 am

It's not over-reacting, it's damned annoying. Playing offline for now, but when it was happening I really wanted to strangle some predators (and that's what they were, I have not played even finished the tutorial and I had over a dozen requests when I was red.)

Best solution, if you ask someone that is red to join a game, your account gets suspended for five minutes. That will fix the problem real damn fast. :-)
--
TAZ
rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:08 pm

zircher wrote:It's not over-reacting, it's damned annoying. Playing offline for now, but when it was happening I really wanted to strangle some predators (and that's what they were, I have not played even finished the tutorial and I had over a dozen requests when I was red.)

Best solution, if you ask someone that is red to join a game, your account gets suspended for five minutes. That will fix the problem real damn fast. :-)
--
TAZ

Two problems with that "solution":

1) Game requests in the bottom left come from the automated matchmaker picking you, not from the other player.
2) When issuing a manual challenge to a specific player, you have no indication of their current matchmaking status (and someone who signs in to play with their friend may well not want random opponents anyway, so want to be on red without penalising their friend for trying to play them)
Niopii

Postby Niopii » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:18 am

I actually do not agree with this. It was bothersome at first, but I realize that if it wasn't for that window popping up, then people would be issuing personal challenges to players more often.

I understand that if it weren't for this, then games wouldn't get started as frequently as they do, because I know for certain that most people will get themselves a game or 2 going, then they will turn themselves red in order to stop receiving requests. People will have to wait longer for some one to accept their game request, and will most likely just go in and pick a random player and challenge them. Which! If I remember correctly, is a window that pops up in the middle of the screen. I'm not exactly sure if this is the case while you're in a game, but I do know that in the menu it pops up right smack dab in the middle.

A good solution to this. Is to make the pop up window less distracting. Perhaps instead of a square in the bottom left corner of the screen, there can be a rectangular news headline bar that stays there constantly to display requests. It won't be popping up, so it can be easily ignored, and to prevent accidental clicks, you have to click 2 buttons to accept a challenge.

Another idea, is to remove the box, and instead put in a button labeled "challenges" or "requests" that you can click on and view the various challenges queued. However this again may or may not cause the problem of most challenges being ignored.

I understand why the game has these features, and has no denial of personal challenge requests. With the ability to play whenever you desire, and the ability to play multiple games at once, it really shouldn't be a problem having more games to play. If you get challenged when you didn't feel like playing? So what? Come back to it when you do! Your opponent will just have to wait, and he can easily find himself another game in the mean time. That's the beauty of this game. Don't make changes that will hinder what it is.
rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:31 am

Niopii wrote:I understand why the game has these features, and has no denial of personal challenge requests. With the ability to play whenever you desire, and the ability to play multiple games at once, it really shouldn't be a problem having more games to play. If you get challenged when you didn't feel like playing? So what? Come back to it when you do! Your opponent will just have to wait, and he can easily find himself another game in the mean time. That's the beauty of this game. Don't make changes that will hinder what it is.

Better to challenge opponents who'll actually play than opponents who'll quietly ignore the game. The matchmaking means you're paired off with someone who's at least willing to play, and, where possible, someone who's willing to play a game mode you both like...
Niopii

Postby Niopii » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:21 am

rmsgrey wrote:Better to challenge opponents who'll actually play than opponents who'll quietly ignore the game. The matchmaking means you're paired off with someone who's at least willing to play, and, where possible, someone who's willing to play a game mode you both like...

Mhmm, that's why I do not wish to see a function put in where you can ignore matchmaking requests. If it is becoming a problem with distracting from the main focus of the game, it should be changed to be less distracting instead of giving an option to disable it. Pop ups tend to catch your attention. Which, when making a life or death decision in a tense game I can imagine being quite annoying. If anything, something you can simply actively ignore yourself would be much more suitable.

Sometimes you'll see a pop up and spontaneously decide "Sure why not?" That's probably how the majority of games start. I cannot say that for sure, but I know I've done it.
Chefiori

Postby Chefiori » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:28 pm

I too get annoyed by the constant notification... Moreover, I would rather wait for a serious opponent than to get a quick game with someone who is annoyed by the notification, that person will more likely to ignore the game or do not take it seriously... Unless you like empty wins, waiting for a game with someone who really wants to play it is just worth it...
Chefiori

Return to “Technical Support”