SLOW, VERY VERY VERY SLOW!

Post your woes here and we will do our best to sort them out

Moderator: Admins

aplsin

Re: SLOW, VERY VERY VERY SLOW!

Postby aplsin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:46 pm

Qoojo wrote:So it's not slow when going offline?

Doesn't seem to make a difference if I play logged in or logged out.
djjd42

Postby djjd42 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:59 pm

For what it is worth, I gave my bonus key to a friend of mine who then tried the game out and immediately complained about the massive time spent waiting between turns in SP. He fired up Task Manager in another window and determined that there was no CPU usage during this time, so what was SP waiting for? (Not that there should have been any CPU usage or noticeable delays anyway, seeing as he's running a recent quad-core i7 god box.)

Fast-forward a bit and he and I are trying out some MP. Both of us were new to MP, so we both spent a while considering our turns. We still spent a terribly long time while waiting for "deliberating" "shapeforms" and such, all the time with idle CPUs just as he experienced in SP, though even more ridiculous in this case given that in MP there is no AI to speak of.

Now, I can happily chalk up at least some portion of our MP slowness to the ongoing server issues. Some portion. I say some portion and repeat it because we were sitting in the same room and knew exactly when each of us had primed and there are distinct delays between server processing and local processing, and these are distinguishable simply by looking at what is being presented in the game UI.

There is definitely something wrong with FS in this area. Hopefully the Mode 7 guys will get to it in due time.
aplsin

Postby aplsin » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:26 pm

Good to know I'm not alone with this problem!
Btw, it appears the new Firefox 4 has massive memory leaks and I reduced my loading times in FS by about half by restarting Firefox and freeing up about 1,5GB of memory. But it's still 30-60 seconds of progress bar which is still too much to make any sense..
conspirator12

Postby conspirator12 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:52 pm

I'm also a little dismayed by the hangs in the load screen in SP. The worst is during Mission 6. I have tried lowering resolution, disabling simultaneous AI processing, etc. My system specs WELL exceed the requirements. Could there be an issue with quad-core processors and/or ATI cards (I'm running an AMD Phenom 9750, 4 GB RAM, and Radeon HD 6850)? I'd love to be able to enjoy this campaign but unfortunately, I'm not patient enough to wait 30-60 seconds between turns.
breischl

Postby breischl » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:59 am

I came here to write yet another post complaining about this. Actually, I registered for the forum and wrote the post, and I'm still waiting for the shapeforms to finish deliberating. I'm playing the first campaign mission. And there's only one surviving computer player. And it's STILL taking forever. I'm running a Lenovo w520, Core i7 2820 processor, 16GB of RAM. My machine is basically bored silly (I checked Resource Monitor just to be sure), and it's still taking 3 minutes to get a turn done.

I decided to do something else while it deliberates, so I switched to running the game in a window (ie, not fullscreen). Then I noticed that when the window has focus it maxes out one of my cores, but when it's not focused it only uses a few percent of the CPU. So basically I can't do anything else - I have to watch the motionless "progress" bar. Gah!

I'm sure it's a great game, it was recommended by a friend, but this is just ridiculous.
Scorpion0x17

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:09 pm

@breischl: try upadting the game client:

http://www.mode7games.com/support/getURL.php
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.

Return to “Technical Support”