SOLUTION: No right mouse button on mac

Post your woes here and we will do our best to sort them out

Moderator: Admins

Omroth
Site Admin

SOLUTION: No right mouse button on mac

Postby Omroth » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:10 am

Please open Contents/Resources/psychoff/main.cs and paste this at the bottom of it:

Code: Select all

function openOrdersMenuAtCursor()
{
   %pos = Canvas.getCursorPos();
   openOrdersMenu(getWord(%pos,0), getWord(%pos,1));
}

In that same file, please find the line

startGame();

And insert this immediately below it:

moveMap.bind(keyboard, "o", openOrdersMenuAtCursor);

You are now able to open the orders menu with the o key.

This will be integrated into then next patch - sorry we missed that!
adam_0

Re: SOLUTION: No right mouse button on mac

Postby adam_0 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:04 pm

Alternatively, all Macs come with right click functionality. On a trackpad, holding 2 fingers on the trackpad and clicking will right click. Also, ctrl-leftclick will do the same thing.
yachris

Postby yachris » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:00 pm

adam_0 wrote:Alternatively, all Macs come with right click functionality. On a trackpad, holding 2 fingers on the trackpad and clicking will right click. Also, ctrl-leftclick will do the same thing.

And this usually works (well, it always works with any other program I've used). But for Frozen Synapse, there's a bug, and sometimes no matter what you do, you get a left-click. REALLY annoying, so thanks for the patch above.
SamSam

Postby SamSam » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:17 am

Hi guys

I am trying to fix this right click problem on my mac, but cannot seem to find the files I need to modify in order to make it work - when I open my Frozen Synapse directory there isn't a 'contents' folder - the path suggested Contents/Resources/psychoff/main.cs doesn't exist for me!

I am also a total newb at this kind of stuff - what program would I use to open a .cs file? Is it just text edit or something like that?

Have tried to attach a screenshot of how the directories appear to me on my Mac.
Attachments
Frozen Synapse.tiff
My Frozen Synapse directory
Frozen Synapse.tiff (222.74 KiB) Viewed 11718 times
Crackawham

Postby Crackawham » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:36 pm

Hello, I am also a total newb with this type of stuff and don't understand how to apply the patch that you mention here. Whenever I search for frozen synapse on my computer all I find is the shortcut icon that starts the game and my original zip file. I have no idea how to access said directories to paste this code. Please be more specific.

I would like to play the game and am a little frustrated right now that I spent my money on something that is broken.
adam_0

Postby adam_0 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:46 am

Crackawham wrote:Hello, I am also a total newb with this type of stuff and don't understand how to apply the patch that you mention here. Whenever I search for frozen synapse on my computer all I find is the shortcut icon that starts the game and my original zip file. I have no idea how to access said directories to paste this code. Please be more specific.

I would like to play the game and am a little frustrated right now that I spent my money on something that is broken.

The game is not broken, please no whining. Also, this is not a place to ask for help, please start your own topic next time.

The Contents folder is inside every .app file (every application). Find the Frozen Synapse application (NOT the shortcut), right click on it, and click "Show Package Contents". That will get you to the Contents folder.

If you're having trouble finding the file from the alias (and I'm assuming that you're talking about a real alias and not an icon in the dock), right click on the alias and press "Show Original". That will get you to the application.
hjk-in-space

Postby hjk-in-space » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:57 am

Hi,

I just purchased the game today and I'm excited to get into it but I have the unresolved Mac right-click problem.

I've successfully applied your patch and now have an option menu from the "o" key but there are other functions requiring the right mouse button that don't appear to be available from this menu.

I have also tried all the usual option-click mouse function and this does not work.

I can't even complete the tutorial with out a right mouse click.

To compound the issue the tutorial freezes when I reach the "unselect the sniper" section after trying the "o" key option. I have also been logged off the server several times today - I'm not sure if that's coincidental or provoked by some action on my part.

I have a very recent iMac with these spec:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 12 GB

Some help please.

Thx.

Harvey
adam_0

Postby adam_0 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:15 am

You have an iMac, and I can guarantee that whatever mouse you are using has right click functionality. If you are using a non-Apple mouse please consult the manual. If you are using an Apple mouse you should check System Preferences to see how it works.

HTH.
icebrain

Postby icebrain » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:28 pm

adam_0 I'm sorry I have to say this to you but you're wrong, so stop thinking people are idiots.
It is obvious that if they have a single button mouse, they've been needing right click and thus using ctrl+click in other softwares or even in the OS. If you had tried yourself ctrl+click in FS you would have discovered that it doesn't work as right click and that the "Add Check order" action is already bound to it.

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News

adam_0

Postby adam_0 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:07 am

icebrain wrote:adam_0 I'm sorry I have to say this to you but you're wrong, so stop thinking people are idiots.
It is obvious that if they have a single button mouse, they've been needing right click and thus using ctrl+click in other softwares or even in the OS. If you had tried yourself ctrl+click in FS you would have discovered that it doesn't work as right click and that the "Add Check order" action is already bound to it.

I am sorry if it has seemed like I was treating people like idiots. I realized later that ctrl-click doesn't work, as somebody else pointed out. I don't see why you feel the need to berate me about something that was already proven false. I can edit the post if it infuriates you so, but I don't see any sense in that as it would break some of the logic of the topic.

On that note, I don't know of a single button mouse since the dawn of the Intel Mac. Apple's mice might look like they're one-button mice, but in fact they have sensors to detect which side of the mouse is being pressed, so you can enable two-button features.

And all Apple trackpads I've seen since the switch to Intel Macs are the same way - press two fingers down to the trackpad and click to get a right click menu.

And the last single-button mouse I used? For a 1991 Mac Classic... which last I checked doesn't run Frozen Synapse.

Note that I have tried all the solutions above in FS, and they do work, so there's no need to double-check them for problems so you can yell at me some more. This works, and I've yet to see an Intel Mac that's truly one-button - most people just don't use the feature so they think they have a one-button mouse.

I'm sorry my 18+ years of Mac experience have failed you, oh great Icebrain. It won't happen again.
icebrain

Postby icebrain » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:56 am

adam_0 wrote:I am sorry if it has seemed like I was treating people like idiots. I realized later that ctrl-click doesn't work, as somebody else pointed out. I don't see why you feel the need to berate me about something that was already proven false.

Obviously you haven't realized it before today because you just told hjk-in-space to go check his manual/system preferences !
Whether it's ctrl left click or righ click, all Mac users need this to open OSX's contextual menu etc. So if he's here (instead of on Apple support) it's not because there's a problem with his machine or with him it's because there's a problem with FS.
Edit: Additionally hjk-in-space says he patched the file, now to do this he had to use right click. We can deduce from this that, since he's here because he has no right click, he's using ctrl left click because he knows his old mouse doesn't have right click - or he chose not to use it.
Now I could be wrong and he could be stupid not to realize his Magic Mouse's right click can be enabled, but I prefer to consider people as being as smart as I am.

Notice that I didn't comment when you said "silly developer" on IRC, or when you made your first post, or when you said "The game is not broken, please no whining." while it is broken. It's only on your third post that I decided to intervene.
Last edited by icebrain on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News

adam_0

Postby adam_0 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:17 am

Clearly you think the user understands everything about their computer, and I must be in the wrong. You chose to ignore the entire part of my post that shows that I know exactly what I'm talking about.

icebrain wrote:I prefer to consider people as being as smart as I am.

Then never ever ever do tech support. Period. You have exactly the wrong mentality for it.

Go troll somewhere else, I'm done talking to you Icebrain.
omnicron

Postby omnicron » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:53 pm

The patch given here is not completely satisfactory because there are still functions of the game that require right clicking.

It seems like a lot of confusion would be resolved if the game allowed control-click as the right click since this is what many people expect.

It is possible on some later computers to right click. On my 4-5 year old macbook (which otherwise runs the game fine) this webpage explains how "two-finger right click" can be enabled on a one-button trackpad.

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/66
beatrice

Postby beatrice » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Just wanted to say: I'm playing on a Macbook with only a delete key (equivalent to PC backspace), so there's no way to delete an order in the middle of a command string. You have to delete all the orders that came after or counter-command (having both duck and stand on the same waypoint to continue standing, for example), which leads to a visual mess and potential mistakes. Hopefully this will fix it. Thanks for posting!
icebrain

Postby icebrain » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:01 pm

beatrice wrote:Just wanted to say: I'm playing on a Macbook with only a delete key (equivalent to PC backspace), so there's no way to delete an order in the middle of a command string.

On such keyboards: fn + delete backward = delete forward

Return to “Technical Support”