Symmetric Multiprocessing support?

Post your woes here and we will do our best to sort them out

Moderator: Admins

stinkytaco

Symmetric Multiprocessing support?

Post by stinkytaco » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:05 am

Is there SMP support for the "blue" frozen synapse? The turns take a few seconds and I would like to try and speed it up if possible.
I have:
8 core AMD FX "bulldozer" 8150 3.60 Ghz
32 gigs ram
64 gig SSD (if this matters?)
Windows 7 Ultimate (non-pirate)

Is there some command line settings for this, or a steam startup option?

BTW I just noticed the red edition. I think I may buy this tonight! I am very excited about this Image Thanks for a great game!
Last edited by stinkytaco on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
stinkytaco

Re: Symmetric Multiprocessing support?

Post by stinkytaco » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Hrmmm.

No support, then -NO SALE-.

Yea it is only $10 but you wont get it from me. Going to mention this on the steam forums too.
Scorpion0x17

Post by Scorpion0x17 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:50 pm

Way to show some patience!

Though the devs do drop in from time to time these are, in practice, primarily player-to-player forums.

If you want a quicker response I suggest emailing: support (at) mode7games (dot) com

Now, as to your question - which aspect of the game do you want speeding up? Multi-player or Single-player?

If it's single-player then the game already runs the AI in a separate process which Windows should automatically run on the most suitable available core - you could always fire up Task Manager and set the Affinity on the two instances of FrozenSynapse.exe if you wanted to be sure they're running on separate cores.

Also, depending on the type of AI used, it may be possible to get further performance benefits from further multi-threading, and indeed it may well already be multi-threaded, but it's hard to know without more knowledge of the code-base.

If it's multi-player, then I think it's unlikely that any further multi-threading of the code is going to help in any way - things like loading and processing turn data is by it's very nature not generally suited for threading, and, again, it may well already be as multi-threaded as it can be.

(and, just so you know, though, obviously I have little knowledge of the Frozen Synapse code-base, I am a Software Engineer with some experience of games development, so am speaking with some degree of knowledge and experience of the field)
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
stinkytaco

Post by stinkytaco » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:48 am

Way to show some patience!
Yeah, the time and date stamp on my posts are broken, there was a 1 day wait. (cant possible type an entire post in under 1 minuet. I only have 1 good hand.)
Also, depending on the type of AI used, it may be possible to get further performance benefits from further multi-threading, and indeed it may well already be multi-threaded, but it's hard to know without more knowledge of the code-base.
Yeah, I am a game developer. It needs to be coded "from the ground up" for threading.
Now, as to your question - which aspect of the game do you want speeding up? Multi-player or Single-player?
Single player. Multi player is not very fun for me. I quickly make a turn , and sometimes have to wait up to 1/2 hour before the other guy takes a turn. Would be nice to see some sort of timer, like the do in chess competitions to speed up game-play. (forgive me if this already exists.)
If it's single-player then the game already runs the AI in a separate process which Windows should automatically run on the most suitable available core - you could always fire up Task Manager and set the Affinity on the two instances of FrozenSynapse.exe if you wanted to be sure they're running on separate cores.
That is a great tip! I will give it a try Image . I think there is a way to set the affinity with a CMD or batch file as well. (start /affinity 1 program_name.exe?), wonder if i can preassign an instance. Going to google it Image. Been a while since I used windows. I just got windows 7 ultimate the other day. Been using Gentoo since I built this rig.

Thanks for taking the time to help out.
stinkytaco

Post by stinkytaco » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:55 am

OK, They where both on CPU 0 along with windows!

Thanks , hope this speeds things up!

EDIT:
Hrmmmm.
5 tries, and every time it breaks the mouse from selecting things. It either makes the unit point in all directions, or simply does not let you select anything.
Scorpion0x17

Post by Scorpion0x17 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:02 am

That's wierd.

'Cos it sort of works for me (though I've only got a hyperthreading single core Atom, so that may make a difference) - the mouse is a little jerky, but I can select units and issue commands just fine. The only 'problem' is that the between-turn progress bar doesn't progress - however it also moves on to the next turn significantly faster than normal.

What happens if you set the affinity of both processes to 'All Processors'?
trolling [verb]:
stinkytaco

Post by stinkytaco » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Ok, that gave it a little boost it seems. Thanks :)

Still can not get the /affinity switch to work with my batch file though :/ Even running as root does no good. Windows 7 seems sort of restrictive to me.
Scorpion0x17

Post by Scorpion0x17 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:11 am

Frozen Synapse probably forces what CPU it's on during startup - so you have to wait for it to load, then set the affinity.
trolling [verb]: