Ideas for frozen synapse 2

Organise tournaments and post results here

Moderator: Admins

jpflex

Ideas for frozen synapse 2

Postby jpflex » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:38 pm

Everyone is welcome to add ideas for next coming game

1) engineers for reconnaissance, equipped with a pistol weaker than all other classes, wins attacking enemies at their back or first sight in extreme close encounters. May deploy a drone (one per turn) to scout a small area and or forcefire a single shot bullet during turn. May place a small (invisible laser sensing beam between narrow openings to explode on enemies or activate a weapon placed within a small radious of the sensor beam. May deploy (one per turn and activated only on next holographic decoy soldiers, mines, radar jammers, smoke, motion sensors, etc

2) rotatable maps

3) double story rooms, latters, doors
Maetco

Re: Ideas for frozen synapse 2

Postby Maetco » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:02 am

I think this thread has to be in the wrong area. Ideas for the sequel under 'Tournaments', doesn't sound right.

But until this is moved I'll just join in. The timed turns has been one of the most frequent requests since the launch of FS. It was requested in FC as well. So I'll just request it again for FS2. Timed turns should be one of the basic options when setting up a match among with: game mode, light/dark, mutators. The player who creates the match should be able to set the timer (1 min, 10 min, 1 h, whatever) during match creation and the challenged person should be able to see all the "rules" before accepting or refusing the match. The way timed turns is handled now does not work at all due to the game being asyncronous. The timed turns needs to be on the moment the match is created, just like all other rules.

The way I would implement timed turns is that if the player has not committed a turn in time the game assumes that the player commits a turn without any changes to the orders / without any additional orders. So the game is not automatically lost. The player just has a high incentive to commit the turn in time. This way the game will end automatically in the end eventually even if no one commits turns or only one player commits turns. This would also mean that a player who missed a turn can still come back and since the opponent never knows whether the opponent committed his/her turn on time they get to play with suspense even the turns when their opponent didn't acutally commit on time. Of course this will become obvious in light after 1 or 2 turns latest.

Another thing I would do is add the ability to commit 'Concede'. This would be a way to end mathces immediately when the outcome has become obvious and the losing player doesn't feel it would be fun to play the remaining turns.

Easy to use level editor with Workshop compatibility. The original has an editor, which most players don't even know about.

At "higher levels" the game starts to become a game of who has the most time and patience to tweak the commands to the last mm and fraction of a second. This makes the game more tedious not more fun. If there is a way to retain the complexity and depth of FS and lose some of the never-ending tweaking, it would definitely make the game better.

So a summary:

1. Timed turns at the match creation.
2. Proper way to refuse matches that you don't want to play.
3. Ability to concede a match.
4. Proper level editor with Workshop.
5. Refining the mechanics so the game becomes less tedious micromanaging mms and fractions of a second and more being clever and predicting your opponents moves.
Guerero

Postby Guerero » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:23 am

G'day I'm very exited about FS2! I agree with alot of the prior suggestions, here are some of my own.

-Match review could be improved by giving a point of view perspective of each player showing their moves and what intel they had throughout the game. This would be very useful for new players as they learn more about the game and experienced players too if they want to study up on their opponents.

-You should be able to simulate further than just a single turn in advance.

-I'd really like to see the addition of a close range melee unit. Here are two ideas:
-> An offensive unit that has an active ability that makes it invulnerable to gunfire and increases its movement speed for a short duration to allow it to change at enemies.
-> Or a more supportive unit that can launch smoke grenades that obscure the vision of enemies (and friendly units) and make it easier to stealthily move around the map

-I'd also like to see a unit that had two weapons, such as giving the rocket launcher a side arm (to prevent stalemates) or an engineer with a gun and a drone. Within a move you could order your unit to swap weapons to give new strategic possibilities.

-I'd also like a better chat system, one that allows conversations to be held with other players outside of a match. As well as a more easily understandable ranked system.

The original was such as success and i cant wait for the sequel!
Maetco

Postby Maetco » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:17 am

Guerero wrote:-I'd really like to see the addition of a close range melee unit. Here are two ideas:
-> An offensive unit that has an active ability that makes it invulnerable to gunfire and increases its movement speed for a short duration to allow it to change at enemies.
-> Or a more supportive unit that can launch smoke grenades that obscure the vision of enemies (and friendly units) and make it easier to stealthily move around the map

-I'd also like to see a unit that had two weapons, such as giving the rocket launcher a side arm (to prevent stalemates) or an engineer with a gun and a drone. Within a move you could order your unit to swap weapons to give new strategic possibilities.

I personally would not want to see anything similar to your suggestion of a melee unit. FS doesn't have limited uses or cool downs (and I really don't want to see any in the future) so that type of abilities could be spammed infinitely. FS is also not about "abilities". All of the units remain the same throughout the match. Giving some "boost" abilities would easily just wreck the balance of the game.

A pistol could be a nice additions to all units. This way all units could potentially kill (regardless of the map) without taking away the RPS-consept.

Smoke would be nice. There has been talk of flash grenades after the first trailer.

I also don't want to see FS turn into XCOM without a grid. Keep it simple. No drones, no alienware, no superpowers, no magic, etc.

Please don't get offended Guerero that I don't like some of your suggestions. I just want FS to remain FS, not turn it into another game which already exists.

Ps. A trailer was released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ZnHgvSpK8 and some info about the content: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... al-cities/.

Return to “Tournaments”