Frozen Synapse League

Organise tournaments and post results here

Moderator: Admins

Frozen Synapse League

Postby MatterOps » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:03 am

Hello there FS Community!

I am new to this game but already fell in love with it!

I want to start a tournament because I think that will be a lot of fun for all of us!!

Everybody that's interested, comment here or add me as a friend in-game (MatterOps)

When I get enough approval, I will start making more detailed plans and display them here!

Regards
MatterOps
MatterOps

Re: Frozen Synapse League

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:36 am

I'm interested.
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
Scorpion0x17

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:39 am

You might want to contact http://devgaming.net/ - I know they're looking to revamp their website and get their FS tournament going again - they just need someone to act as tournament admin.
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
Scorpion0x17

Postby whisky_bravo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:47 am

I'm in as long as it's not just DE mode ;)
whisky_bravo

Postby MatterOps » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:35 pm

Thank you for showing interest, tell your friends about this idea, spread the word!

@whisky_bravo I did plan on having some diversity in the different game modes!!
MatterOps

Postby MatterOps » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:34 pm

first tournament layout, what do you think?
16/32/ 64/128 players (depending on interest from players!)
First number of players will get "seat" in tournament

All game modes playable!

IF 16/32 players (or "odd" number, eg. 25)
-everyone plays everyone ONCE
--> win: 3 points, draw: 1 point, loss: 0 points
--> rounds to end of march have to be noted in case of equal points!
-top 8/16 players advance-->best against worst, second against second last, etc.
-from now on BEST OF 3 games (all different game-modes, so that there exists a kind of variety!)
-only winner advances!
(-game for 3rd place optional!)

IF 64/128 players:
-random matches:
-for 64 players:
First 2 matches BO1
Next 1 matches BO3
Final match BO5
3rd place match optional

-for 128 players:
First 3 matches BO1
Next 2 matches BO3
Final match BO5
3rd place match optional

Time to play a game:
-dates of all games will be announced
-24h after release of times, the match has to be started and another 24 hours later the game has to be completed!
-if one of the participants doesn't show up, default win for the other player
-if he sees beforehand (latest 24 hours before the match) that he won't be able to attend the match, he has to inform their opponent and match administrator and they will try and set up a alternative date and time

PRIZES:
Need sponsors for that
If anybody got some kind of sponsor let us know!!
Other then that there won't be any prizes other then the honour of winning! (which in it self is pretty sweet)
If this tournament gets popular maybe the 2nd time there will be some sponsors and some neat prizes!!!

*EDIT* on August 11, 2012
i created a forum for this League/Tournament:
http://frozensynapseleague.createaforum.com/

here is the site where you can sign-up for the event:

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/ctnc4bug2h
Last edited by MatterOps on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
MatterOps

Postby wtigotw » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Sounds like fun. I'll play
wtigotw

Postby GGCrew » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:16 pm

I'm in!
GGCrew

Postby MatterOps » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:27 am

until now there are 4 people showing interest (that i know of)
i created a forum for this League/Tournament:
http://frozensynapseleague.createaforum.com/

here is the site where you can sign-up for the event:

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/ctnc4bug2h

Please, tell your friends about this and spread the word!!

With best regards,

MatterOps
MatterOps

Postby TehShrike » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:14 pm

I'm signed up right now in the Challonge tournament, but then I realized that you may not have been around for the DGL tournaments, and I figured I'd come in and verify some things.

For reference, here are the rules that DGL used:

1) The 3 matches have to be Dark Disputed, Light Secure, and Dark Charge.
2) If your opponent does not play your matches, notify Meneth.
3) You have to use your FS nick in the tournament. If your DG username is different from your FS username, you have to fill out the FS username field on your profile. Remember that FS usernames are case-sensitive.
4) In case of draw, do a rematch. Post results once all 3 matches are done.
5) Matches are to be done on UK1 only, to make it easier for participants to find each other. This rule is of course moot once the servers have been merged.

You don't have to stick to those or anything, but there is one very important thing: no extermination, and no hostage.

The extermination game mode, by its very nature promotes defensive and boring play. That, plus its often-random starting positions make it of absolutely no interest to me, and I won't play in any tournament that uses extermination.

Hostage is an awesome game mode, and I love it, but it's pretty weighted in favor of the rescuers, so it's not very good for tournament play.

That said, I don't care much about the rest (though I would suggest doing traditional seeding using player ratings - Challonge should take care of a lot of that for you as long as you order the players correctly). I prefer Swiss to elimination, but sometimes elimination is better with online tourneys, as the less-interested players get weeded out more quickly.

I'm guessing that it would be better to have more than one game between opponents per-round, but that doesn't bother me too much, I'm willing to try whatever. A one-game-per-round light charge tournament (or whatever non-extermination game mode you pick) sounds fun, too.

I've been toying with the idea of getting back into FS more seriously, and this seem like a good reason to do so. I'm looking forward to it!
TehShrike

Postby pugi » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:51 pm

I would like to also vote for removing extermination and hostage from the mode pool. Unless you have explosive units, Extermination favors very defensive play. Once you have a unit lead you can just turtle with all your units in some corner of a building and the enemy has no chance to kill them for the rest of the game, as moving units are at a disadvantage to stationary units. Disputed is very similar to Extermination, but as crates spawn after a few turns, you can't hide your units and still win.
pugi

Postby MatterOps » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:08 pm

@TehShrike:
Thank you for that post, I will take it in consideration!
I totally agree with you on your opinion of Dark Extermination and Hostage!

I think for the first tournament a Elimination-Tournament is good to get people interested and then we'll be able to see the size of the playerbase that are attracted to FS tournaments!

Other then that, the rules have to be determined in detail, I will get to that as soon as I get the chance to do so!!

@pugi:

I wanted to hold a vote on different game modes and then see what game modes make it. Those will be picked randomly for the different rounds.
Does that sound like a good idea?

Thank you for your feedback folks!!

Tell your friends about the tournament and sign-up here: http://frozensynapseleague.createaforum.com/index.php
MatterOps

Postby pugi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:01 am

Sure we can vote for game modes, but i am sure that the result would be Disputed, Charge and Secure. And don't get me wrong that i don't like Disputed, i meant that it is similar to Extermination but without the camping, so it is a good game mode. I haven't played an Upload match yet, so i have no idea what they are about :D

We would only need to vote on Dark/Light modes. I think back in the days of the old tournaments we chose Light for one because the Dark mode had a hard 16 turn limit and the Light mode only 8 or something like that.

You should also add some rule about unfair map setups. As the map and the unit composition is random, players should be allowed to remake a match if the map is really unfair for them, probably would be based on a decision by the admin. I for example had such a case in an old tournament match vs propast, where i couldn't see any way that i could win unless he made huge mistakes: Image
He would just had to rush his shotguns into the center building or next to the wall of the top building and he would have crossed the middle bidding line and i would had no chance of killing them with my units. But after i complained Meneth decided that i should deal with it so i forfeited the map :(
pugi

Postby eyci » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:47 am

Hi Matter, thanks for organizing this. I am interested to take part, however I don't think I will be able to finish matches in 24 hours as I play most matches asynchronously over a few days (time zone differences and I'm a real slow player). My personal preference would be for round-robin style play with all match-ups taking place simultaneously over the course of say a week. If ever there is such a tournament then I would be happy to participate :)

Regardless I wish you best of luck for this tournament, I look forward to seeing the results!

eyci
eyci

Postby TehShrike » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:47 am

MatterOps wrote:Tell your friends about the tournament and sign-up here: http://frozensynapseleague.createaforum.com/index.php

FYI, I'll sign up for those other forums if it's absolutely necessary, but the chat room is generally about the only part of the community that I pay much attention to. I found this forum post via the link on the Challonge page, which Paul linked to on Twitter.
TehShrike

Next

Return to Tournaments