Frozen Synapse League

Organise tournaments and post results here

Moderator: Admins

whisky_bravo

Re: Frozen Synapse League

Postby whisky_bravo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:07 am

TehShrike wrote:The extermination game mode, by its very nature promotes defensive and boring play... Hostage [mode is] pretty weighted in favor of the rescuers, so it's not very good for tournament play

Agree. 100%.

pugi wrote:You should also add some rule about unfair map setups... players should be allowed to remake a match if the map is really unfair for them

Disagree! Part of the appeal of this game for me is the way you are 'dealt a hand' and have to make the best of it. Sure, sometimes a map or unit distribution goes against you... but equally often, it goes for you. I don't mind abandoning matches in exceptional circumstances but not just because one player has a starting advantage.

The most satisfying wins are the ones against all odds.

eyci wrote:I don't think I will be able to finish matches in 24 hours as I play most matches asynchronously over a few days (time zone differences and I'm a real slow player)

This exactly describes me too :)

TehShrike wrote:the chat room is generally about the only part of the community that I pay much attention to

Same, apart from this forum. Would you consider organising the tournament exclusively through this forum? I'm not keen on signing up to more things unless absolutely necessary.

It looks like most of us are on the same page about these things, thanks for setting it up! I reiterate, I'm definitely keen to play but won't be able to with a 24-hour limit on matches for reasons mentioned above.

w_b
pugi

Postby pugi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:45 am

I expected some players to disagree with me about unfair map setups... but this a tournament, where you have to win your matches to advance. It might be fun to play against the odds in some cases, but you can do that in non-tournament games. I see no point in playing a map where i know that the only chance to win is that the enemy makes a huge mistake.

I would also like to say that these cases are very rare. When you have explosive units you should always find a way around the disadvantage. Also in Secure if you have the more defensive unit setup you should try to be on the defensive site. Also the outcome of Secure games heavily depend on the first move, where you have to place your units AND move them at the same time. (This makes Secure games very random in my opinion, as you have to cover every possible spawn location in the first turn as defender)
I think the only cases would be like the Charge game i mentioned, where you both have no explosive units and one player can get their units behind the bidding line if they win the bid or have an impenetrable defensive position vs the other unit setup if the other team wins the bidding.

Cases like the exceptional circumstances you posted should not happen in Disputed/Charge/Secure. And if the map is heavily in favor for you, i also expect you to be fair to your enemy and to generate another map if he wants to.

On the other forum thing... i also wanted to write something about that in my last post, i just forgot. We shouldn't need another forum for the tournament, the forum here is already designed for that. And i also almost only pay attention to the chat. By using an external client like mIRC, X-Chat or any other famous one (many browsers have IRC integrated now) you don't need to have the game open for that. You just have to connect to irc.maxgaming.net and join the channel #mode7games irc://irc.maxgaming.net/mode7games
Scorpion0x17

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:21 pm

I'm also anti-24hr rounds and having to sign up at some other forums.

And I'm sat on the fence regarding 'problem' map/unit rollouts - on the few occasions where I've initially gone "URGH! Horrible setup!" and even suggested abandoning (other than on completely broken maps (where one or both sides have a bazzilion units)), I've found myself coming back, playing, and sometimes even winning.
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
MatterOps

Postby MatterOps » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:08 pm

It is not necessary to sign up to that forum! I just thought I would be a good idea to have a forum where all the information on this tournament could be found!
TehShrike

Postby TehShrike » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:39 am

What constitutes an "unfair map" can vary wildly from person to person. Most people looking at a map see it from the perspective of the strategies they would use, or the strategies that they remember other people using.

I usually enjoy playing on maps that look slanted or highly asymmetrical, since it usually forces interesting play to avoid the obvious outcome from occurring.

In a tournament setting, I think the best solution is to have multiple games per-round. However, I can accept losing a game due to what I would consider a highly unfavorable map in a casual tournament like this one - especially when the tournament is double elimination.

I would not trust anyone else's opinion of what an unfair map would be.

Time limit per-turn: I'll second the others - when I'm paying attention, I'm probably moving once every 24 hours, but I could never hold that up through an entire tournament. Every 48 hours would be more realistic, but over some weekends I could see myself going 72 hours without logging in to FS.
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Imposible to finish a match in 24h. This is Frozen Synapse and I'm not a child :)
3 days for a match, yes.
Pugi, I'm agree for remaking the unfair map only if my opponent is agree too. So don't worry if we meet in a fight :)
pugi

Postby pugi » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:31 pm

Well let's just hope the maps will be nice and not too unfair :D

And i hope i won't meet you early on wonderhero, although i did beat you once before in DGL#3 :D
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:29 pm

Ohh, that beating makes me wish to meet you again Pugi :D
TehShrike

Postby TehShrike » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:47 am

mmmmm. I want to be in every tournament that wonderhero is in. :-D
vitamine

Postby vitamine » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:05 am

let's go :)
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:49 am

TehShrike wrote:mmmmm. I want to be in every tournament that wonderhero is in. :-D

Nice challenge, but it sound like an encouragement :D
Scorpion0x17

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:22 pm

Having issues with my PC (which I'd hoped to have sorted by now - going to need to re-install everything I think) - anyway, that's why I've not signed up to this yet, but will do as soon as I'm back up and running...
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
whisky_bravo

Postby whisky_bravo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:05 am

Signed up; bring it on!
MatterOps

Postby MatterOps » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:32 pm

Tournament sign-ups have been closed!!

Game modes will be voted for!
*EDIT WILL APPLY!!*
Light Extermination:
Dark Extermination: 1
Light Secure: 1
Dark Secure: 1
Light Charge:
Dark Charge: 4
Light Disputed: 1
Dark Disputed: 3

Once the game modes have been decided, the beginning date will be announced, one week from that date the 1st Round has to be finished and the winner announced!!
Every game not finished within time will be dealt with separately!!

Please leave your votes here and I will put the results up!
Last edited by MatterOps on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatterOps

Postby MatterOps » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:33 pm

Btw, please sign-up with your ingame name!!!!

Return to “Tournaments”