What are your favorite FS like video games ?

Chat about anything
icebrain

What are your favorite FS like video games ?

Postby icebrain » Thu May 26, 2011 10:30 am

Most of the games I list below are for both Windows and Mac, sometimes even Linux.
Click the screenshot to watch a gamplay video on youtube.

I only got my first personal computer in 2002 and it was a Macintosh, so I missed most Windows games such as X-Com and its descendants.

• The closest game to FS that I have played might be Conquest, a very well made simultaneous turn based strategy war game with hex tiles, turn time limit, single and multiplayer. For some reason it has not been successful but certainly deserves more players.

• A bit remote from FS is Atom Zombie Smasher where you strategically position your team before the wave of zombie and try to save as many civilians as possible. The campaign is full of little facts and dossier etc that emphasize the retro style of the game. It is particularly difficult and I wonder if we're supposed to win against the multiplying zombies.

• The Commandos series was not turn based but real time and very close to FS as you could take all your time to find the best tactic to take out your enemies. Sadly there have been very few game of this type if any.

Metal Gear Solid had a lot of action (against bosses) but also a fair amount of tactics against common soldiers. I remember it for its captivating story and awesome graphics for the time.

• I'm looking forward to try Monaco. I hope it has some tactical aspect and isn't all action oriented.

• I just remembered Attack of the Paper Zombies ! which is a free strategy game where you must position your squad and artillery to eradicate zombies. I looks like a tiny game but I think it has the gameplay depth of a big game and is quite addictive.

I hope that by sharing games in this thread we will discover new ones that we'll enjoy :-)
Last edited by icebrain on Sun May 29, 2011 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News

mizzu

Re: What are your favorite FS like video games ?

Postby mizzu » Thu May 26, 2011 1:40 pm

-Flotilla. Simultanious and turn based
A short lets play (Actual gameplay starts at 03:10)

It's frozen synapse IN SPACE! Kinda.
dajbozerozum

Postby dajbozerozum » Sat May 28, 2011 1:26 pm

I played a lot in Tom Clansy`s titles like Rainbow Six. I think that tactic overview and few mechanics are same as in FS. Next game that looks a bit like FS in my opinion is Space Hulk 2: Vengenace of the Blood Angels. There was tatical overview, where you could give orders to your squads. FS in lot of ways is unique.
"Personas that are desired by the system itfelf definitely exist in society, and people hunger of them."
icebrain

Postby icebrain » Sun May 29, 2011 8:06 am

Hey guys, since we all have bought FS, why not recommend the games in this thread to people while the servers issue is fixed ?!
(I added pictures and videos)

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News

mindcontrol

Postby mindcontrol » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:29 am

thanks for recommending flotilla. i just downloaded the demo and it was surprisingly fun for a few hours.
everything tastes better with mindcontrol
Pandarsenic

Postby Pandarsenic » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:41 am

Flotilla is fun but it gets old a bit too fast due to its lack of any REAL extended campaign.
I solve my problems with grenades.
jcrusious

Postby jcrusious » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:32 am

I have joined this forum recently and played the game "Commandos" and i like it...
Scoregraphic

Postby Scoregraphic » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 am

Other Commandos-like games are:

- Desperados
- Desperados 2
- Helldorado
- Robin Hood

All above games were developed by Spellbound (www.spellbound.de)
jumpman

Postby jumpman » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:03 am

On a console, but surely Advance Wars, Fire Emblem & Shining force must get a mention?
MissDjax

Postby MissDjax » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Scoregraphic wrote:Other Commandos-like games are:

- Desperados
- Desperados 2
- Helldorado
- Robin Hood

All above games were developed by Spellbound (http://www.spellbound.de)

Desperados 1 was absolutely awesome to say at least !!
MissDjax

Postby MissDjax » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:11 pm

Rakshasa

Postby Rakshasa » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Silent Storm and Silent Storm: Sentinels. Some of the best turn-based strategy I've ever played, hands-down! Sadly, almost no-one in the US has ever heard of it.
RealityCh3ck

Postby RealityCh3ck » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:43 pm

Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel

It is a game with turn based or continuous mode. You get a squad of (4?) members, arm them how you want (lazer rifle, double barrel shotgun, missile launcher, etc.) and run through mutant held towns and the like. You pick up loot and buy ammo and weapons. You allocate skill points into melee/heavy weapons/sniper efficiency etc. I haven't played in a while, but I remember it being pretty sweet.
H3llb0und

Postby H3llb0und » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:13 am

I wonder why no one mentioned Laser Squad Nemesis, developed by the same guys that gave us UFO / X-Com and others before that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_Squad_Nemesis
J.Mad

Postby J.Mad » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:21 pm

Combat Mission series, especially Barbarossa and Afrika Korps.
Empires of Steel.
Both have simultaneously planning-watching system.

Return to “Random Chat”