[Suggestion] If I am set to red please don't notify

Post bug reports here

Moderator: Admins

tals

[Suggestion] If I am set to red please don't notify

Post by tals » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:29 pm

Hi - can you have it so if I am red then it doesn't say we know you are red but x can't find a game so will you play.

No I am set to red for a reason :) Can we have this either as a disableable option or just have it pay attention to the traffic light :)
Zolkowski

Re: [Suggestion] If I am set to red please don't notify

Post by Zolkowski » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:32 am

I think what would be better would be a less intrusive pop up in the lower right corner or something like that.
TheBeefiest

Post by TheBeefiest » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:56 am

Yes I am torn about this feature too, it seems to make sense that yellow means you want these popups, but red does not.

However one of the huge problems with matchmaking is not being able to find a game when you really want one! So I think I Agree, something in a corner not necessary but a good reminder if you are ingame, that someone needs some companionship?
ovno

Post by ovno » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:44 am

There's no need to be torn, NO MEANS NO!!!!!!!

If I am red I do not won't to be bothered with General No Friends can't find a game that's what yellow or green are for, red means and quite clearly states it means NO! so stop popping up a box every 30 seconds while I'm playing my mate!
Lu-Tze

Post by Lu-Tze » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:47 pm

It seems like Red operates like I would expect Orange to right now. Change it so No means No, and Orange acts like Red currently does. Make Orange the default for when you go into a game.

Finding games (hopefully) doesn't get horribly impacted, because it carries on as it currently is except for people who really don't like being bothered.
Lyx

Post by Lyx » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:02 pm

I discussed this already with Ian before preorders. The problem goes like this...

There are actually 4 states which one may want to be in:

"Green": I want to play now! Find me a game! (This is what green currently is)

"Yellow": I'm willing to autoaccept a game if someone else wants a game and no one else is available. (this is what yellow currently is)

"Orange": I'm willing to accept a game if someone else wants a game and no one else is available, but i want to be asked first (This is what "red" currently is)

"Red": I do not want a game (this is what red claims to be, but isn't)

IMO, "Green" and "Red" are a MUST. For green its obvious why. For "red", well if a game does not allow a player to say "no" but instead bullies him constantly to accept games even though he said that he does not want to, then i'd call that a quite disrespectful and invasive gamebehaviour.

It also is important that something in-between those two extremes is available, because this basically is the options for players "on reserve".... so, players who are willing to jump in, if there is a shortage of match-partners.

The problem is: According to Ian - and i partially (but not completely) agree with this - 4 options is too much. Furthermore, the distinction between "Yellow" and "Orange" isn't that obvious - they are very similiar... the only difference is if you autoaccept or are asked - so having both may be confusing. And yet, bot have their uses: "Yellow" is useful for people on reserve who may only be at their machine in 2-3minute intervals.... therefore, they could accept a game but not react immediatelly... so they want to autoaccept. "Orange" too has its use: It's for people who are in a state where they "sometimes" can/want to accept games, or want to see the opponent before accepting - thus they want to be asked.

Here's the possibilities i can come up with:

Solution 1: Keep the current system but just make the notifications on "Orange" (in the game currently called "red") more subtle.
Problem: People who do not want to play are still bullied to play, just less intensively - or the notification isn't noticed often: The more noticable the game proposal is, the more it annoys players who do not want to play - the less noticable it is the more often it is missed by players who may actually want to play. This is because in this case, one setting tries to satisfy two conflicting user states at once: "Do not want to play"(Red) and "May want to play, ask me"(Orange).

Solution 2: Implement Red, Orange and Green. That is: "Want to play", "May want to play, ask me", "Do not want to play".
Problem: Ian and some devs lose their favorite setting (j/k). More seriously: Players who may be willing to accept a game, but which do not have the time to accept manually, are forced to accept manually - and will therefore miss out some game offers.

Solution 3: Impelemt Red, Yellow and Green. That is: "Want to play", "May want to play, autoaccept", "Do not want to play".
Problem: People who may want to play but who want to be asked first, will be forced to autoaccept (and therefore accept some games which they dont actually want to join).

Solution 4: Implement all 4 states.
Problem: May be confusing for newbies (though, i do think that with good tooltip descriptions and those tooltips being displayed longer, this could be improved). Minor problem: Traffic lights dont have four colors - thus its not really a trafficlight system anymore :-P

----

What do i think what makes sense? Well, to me Solution 2 and Solution 4 make the most sense.
Lyx: "Wot? Why do i lose that one?"
Chem: " if(playerIsLyx()) chanceOfWinning *= 0.3f;"
Lyx: "Damnit om!"
Pie21

Post by Pie21 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:25 pm

Reading through options 1, 2 and 3 I was making the :? face, and thinking "Mmmgh".

Solution 4 is the way to go, fellas. It solves everyone's problem and is only a wee bit more confusing.

UNLESS! You want a Solution 5: Run with the current system (easy for newbs), BUT have an option in the Options menu to enable the ACTUAL red light, and hence switch to Solution 4. People who go this route know what they want, and hence will not be confused. People who don't just get annoyed. By the time they get annoyed enough to want to do something about it, they're not newbs anymore :wink:. Simple.
Lyx

Post by Lyx » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:15 pm

IF all 4 states were implemented, then short and easy to understand labels would be these:

- Green: You want a game now.
- Yellow: If someone else wants a game, accept.
- Orange: If someone else wants a game, ask me.
- Red: You currently don't want new games.
coywolf

Post by coywolf » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:28 pm

I would love to see all four. Right now, it defaults you back to red, which makes it understandable to me why it would pop up anyway. The way I treat it right now is basically sitting in 'Orange' all the time, going to green if I don't have a game going.
ovno

Post by ovno » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:24 am

Number 4 definately, though to save the colour confusion (and for colour blind people)

1) Green with a white tick in. Actively looking for a game.

2) Orange with a white tick in. Auto accept.

3) Red with a white question mark. Ask me.

4) Black with a white cross. Don't ask me, just leave me in peace ffs....

That way red/green colour blind not a problem and all four states are clear to all users (with clear tool tips)
Lyx

Post by Lyx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:29 pm

Here's the official plan:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1755&p=5182#p5182
Lyx: "Wot? Why do i lose that one?"
Chem: " if(playerIsLyx()) chanceOfWinning *= 0.3f;"
Lyx: "Damnit om!"
JeP

Post by JeP » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:04 am

I think the problem here is cause you're trying to achieve two things with only one button, and that could easily be improved.
This is just my opinion, but for me "I'm willing to accept any game" (green), "I want to be asked" (orange) and "No means no" (red)
are states of mind, and "I'm seeking a game" is more an action. Or in an other way, the three firsts are about incoming games, when
seeking comes from us.

I think we should have both separated, at least in the UI, to avoid confusion.
That's just my opinion though, but a clear "I don't want to be bothered" state is clearly needed, whatever solution you choose.
GArrow

Traffic Light Problems & Suggestions

Post by GArrow » Tue May 31, 2011 1:39 pm

The traffic light system is a clever idea, but it's flawed as a GUI element:
  • There is already a huge "Find Me A Game" button on the multiplayer menu -- there is no reason for the traffic light to actively seek out a game.
  • There is no flyover help for the traffic light, and nothing about it stands out in the Help documentation, so if someone wants to see what it does, they have to click on it...
  • Because it cycles around, if someone clicks on it to find out what it does, and they then realize they want it to be red, they have to cycle around, thus forcing them to go through green, which they don't want at all.
  • As was said before, it really does not fit into the graphic theme of the other buttons.
  • Most obviously, red should mean that the user does not want to get any messages about games & is auto-declining all such requests (other than from "Friends").
Suggestions:
  • Completely remove any "start finding me a game" functionality from the traffic light.
  • Add flyover help.
  • Turn this into a pop-up menu -- when someone click on it, they should get a menu showing each traffic light (This would allow the interface to stack them to look like a traffic light) and a little description of what that color means -- the user can click on whichever they want, which may be exactly what it already was set to.
  • Simply drawing a similar border around it would be a nice visual improvement.
  • Make "red" auto-decline all non-friend requests.