Music and sound effects being cut

Post bug reports here

Moderator: Admins

ninj

Music and sound effects being cut

Postby ninj » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:17 am

I am experiencing a bug where Frozen Synapse seems to only be able to play one sound at a time (with one exception). If a second sound is activated, the other gets cut. Example: Bgm is playing and a machine gun fires; I hear the machine gun sound but the music stops and starts a different song after a brief period (assuming no other sound effects play). The one exception to this is the UI sound effects (button presses and etc..) which only cut the bgm if two of the sounds are played very shortly after one another (probably due to overlap between them). I'm not exactly sure whether they cut other sounds effects. This problem only happens occasionally most of the time, and usually it'd work after being restarted a few times. However, I haven't been able to get it working at all today, so I'm looking for a solution.

Unfortunately, the console logs don't seem to log when sound effects are played, but it does show how frequently the music track is changing. I can post a relevant excerpt from it if it'll help. I am running the Steam-integrated FS on Windows 7, x64. I have the Red DLC but I had this problem previously. Also, running the game outside of Steam didn't help (although I realize it's still not the same as running the retail version). One thing that should be noted: upon telling Steam to verify the game's cache after running it, it always says that one file failed verification and was restored. Running the verification again shows that all files are correct. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to tell which file it was (I can't find anything about it in any of Steam's logs).

I've looked around online for a solution to this but it seems like I'm the only one having this problem. This issue is unique to FS so I'm nearly certain it's what's causing the problem. I'm currently re-downloading the game and I'll post here if that fixes it to let people know who might be having the same problem, although I hope someone here may be able to help me find another solution so that re-downloading a nearly 1 gigabyte file isn't the only option they'll have.
ninj

Re: Music and sound effects being cut

Postby ninj » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:00 am

Update:
So I re-downloaded the game from steam and moved most of the old non-regeneratable files back (save data, custom maps etc) and the problem seems to be gone. Perhaps one of the scripts became corrupt somehow on my previous install. It turns out the file that fails to validate on Steam was NOT the cause of the problem, as that continues to occur. This is most likely due to the game coming packaged with some sort of internal settings file or some other sort of file that it modifies (unlike regular user preferences which are generated by the game with default values post-installation).

Anyways so I ran a file comparison between the old and new installations (in their Steam-validated states) and most of the files that are different are just cache files (activeGames.txt, allRankings.txt, comments.txt.. etc..). The only file that seems to hold any information that might effect the game engine behavior is the .\tools\levelEditor\preferences\prefs.cs.dso. Or perhaps older versions of the game had different default user preferences and my preferences were causing the problem somehow.

In any case, the best advice I can offer anyone else who has this problem is to try deleting your preferences and just re-set them in-game to how they were, or to delete the levelEditor prefs file and restore it from the cache. Unless for some reason the FS devs decided to store engine-altering variables in the little text-cache files for some reason. :P If nothing works, you'll just have to re-download. And who knows, maybe that won't help. Perhaps something else on my computer is conflicting with FS. As I said before, I used to not get this problem consistently so just having it work fine today doesn't really prove it's even fixed.

But anyways, if anyone has any ideas they should still post them here for the sake of anyone else who might experience this. I'll post on here again if it starts happening again, but hopefully we're good.

Edit: Well just so you guys know, that doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. I've tried replacing the OpenAL32.dll with the 32 and 64 bit versions of the software implementation of the OpenAL lib (even though my other OpenAL games work fine) but the problem still persists. I don't really know where to go from here other than opening FS under a debugger and tracing it's OpenAL calls to try and figure out what it's doing (since audio.cs isn't available). Either that or I could try writing a Torque VM disassembler to see what's going on inside audio.cs (though I don't think I'm technically allowed to do that, I don't think the devs would mind me trying to get my game working right..). If anyone has any suggestions at all they would be greatly appreciated.
Gandalf8

Postby Gandalf8 » Sat May 03, 2014 10:48 pm

Hi mode7,

unfortunately, I am facing exactly the same problem for quite a while now. Please see http://forums.mode7games.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4625 and http://forums.mode7games.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7365 for similar descriptions of what seems to be the same issue.
I am currently running version 32 of the game on a Windows 7 64bit system; there's a SoundBlaster X-Fi installed. However, no other applications whatsoever exhibit any sound problems on my system, so I assume that this is actually an FS bug. I formerly ran version 28 of the game on Windows XP with the same sound hardware without ever facing this issue, so I guess that it is somehow related to Windows 7 / OpenAL.
Finally, I can confirm that reinstalling the game fixed the issue for a short while, but after but a few days, the error resurfaced.

Needless to say, any fix or workaround would be highly appreciated. :)

Thanks and regards, Gandalf8
Gandalf8

Postby Gandalf8 » Sat May 31, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi mode7,

after careful study of this issue over several weeks now, I have come up with an own theory about the origin of this bug. Meanwhile, I suspect that it is a driver problem of either OpenAL or the Creative SoundBlaster hardware itself. I reached this conclusion because the bug never shows up when the system is freshly booted, but only, although not always, when it has been woken up from energy saving mode. No other games show a similar behaviour, though, so it looks like they use a more reliable way of initializing the sound hardware. I am aware that all of this is pure speculation, but maybe it helps you tracking down the issue anyway.

And by the way, even if you weren't able to solve the problem right away, which I fully understand, at least a small reply would have been nice.

Thanks and regards, Gandalf8
Escargot

Postby Escargot » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:11 pm

I also had a problem with the sounds being cut off, especially reload, explosion and MG shot sounds. I hadn't the music bug you described though, it played just as normal.
But my point is, that I never had any problems like these until I recorded the Match No. 1149012 with the ingame recorder. The first attempt failed because I forgot to close TS3 during the process, so I tried it twice, the second try being successful. This sound bug showed first in the record, but I thought this would only be caused by my rather elderly computer hardware and my computer's lack of a sound card. However, when I restarted the game the day after, the problem also occurred in the game and after a data verification by steam, it said that 64 datas would be corrupted and re-downloaded them. This didn't fix the bug though; the only solution that finally managed to solve the problem was a complete reinstallation.

I'm playing the steam version of FS on a 64-bit PC with Windows 7. The processor is an Intel E8400 and the graphics card a Radeon 4800 by ATI. I don't have a soundcard.
Gandalf8

Postby Gandalf8 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi Escargot,

Escargot wrote:However, when I restarted the game the day after, the problem also occurred in the game and after a data verification by steam, it said that 64 datas would be corrupted and re-downloaded them. This didn't fix the bug though; the only solution that finally managed to solve the problem was a complete reinstallation.

Indeed; that was my experience, too. Unfortunately, even this doesn't fix the problem for long. However, for reasons that are still beyond me, sometimes the problem vanishes just like it appeared, even without reinstallation. On some days it works, on others it does not. Maybe it depends on what other software has been run before, or maybe it's just random, possibly due to an uninitialized variable in some driver. Anyway, it's unsatisfactory.

CU, Gandalf8

Return to “Bugs”