Resources to create levels

Moderator: Admins

icebrain

Resources to create levels

Postby icebrain » Mon May 23, 2011 2:23 am

I consider that it is to mode7 to provide an exhaustive guide on how to make levels since they hold the know how.
Therefore, here, I'll only list resources to get you started.

Notice: I call map the terrain (walls) only and call level the map + units + zones + everything else.

The Advanced Setup (accessed from Create Game in multiplayer) lets you :
• generate MP levels for all modes
• add and edit zones (but you can't see their name)
• add and position units
• save and load levels

The Level Editor (accessed by typing loadeditor(); in the console (which itself is opened by pressing the ` key) if you used advanced setup before, you must relaunch FS) lets you :
• add and edit high and low walls
• add, position and order units and waypoints around
• simulate a 100 seconds turn
• add and edit zones
• import maps (walls) from a PNG file
• save and load levels

Here are basic things to know before making a map.

Here is a partial guide for singleplayer levels and their zones.
In addition here's a quote from another thread, about mutliplayer zones:
Omroth wrote:For Hostage, you need zons prefixed with Hostage (ie Hostage1,Hostage2, etc) and Exit.
For Secure you need "Move2" (ie "Move2_A", "Move2_B") for the attacker spawn zones, along with "bidzone" for all the bidzones.
For Charge you just need "Move1" and "Move2" for the deploy zones, and "bidzone" for bifzones.
(You hold down "t" and move the mouse to create a zone).

If you want to learn more, open a campaign or level (psychoff/data/encounters/sp/) generated MP level, look what it contains and experiment.

Sharing your levels and maps:
If you're sharing anything it has to work for us, otherwise it's pretty much useless and a waste of time.
So once you have finished drawing your map, export it in PNG format, import it in the Editor and make sure it renders as you intended, also verify that units can go through most doorways. You can add enemy units and do a bit of simulation. After that it's time to save your level as a .enc file (encounter) and eventually play it against the AI via the Campaign which is a faster way than playing it in multilayer but you can't test all zones.
Once you're done testing, upload the .enc to the Modding section of the forum so we can play your level :-)
You may also want to share the map, but the PNG will not be of much use, instead share your source file (ideally created in a 2D vectorial drawing software).

Some older maps and levels made by members :
various maps by Ace_Rimmer
Scrap Station by noClue
Flow by Lyx
tournament balanced by Goomba

Additionally here are a few mode7 blog posts that you might find interesting:
A new kind of terrain generator
Artificial Intelligence
Pathfinding

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News

symonism

Re: Resources to create levels

Postby symonism » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi, great resource!
Ive imported my PNG and thats all fine, but when i go 'Save as' i can name the file but i cant choose filetype and it doesnt seem to save anywhere what am i doing wrong? I tried adding the extension (.enc) but that doesnt work.

thansk in advance

—symon
icebrain

Postby icebrain » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:52 pm

By default the editor saves the file as a .* but you can change that to .enc when you specify the file name. The editor can open both but the Advanced Setup only accepts .enc
I'm not sure what is the save directory on Windows or Steam but on stand alone OSX version it's in Application Support/FrozenSynapse/Psychoff/data/encounters while the load dir is userlevels/ next to it and the open dir is inside FS application. (yes it's a mess) Search on your computer for the filename you gave and you should locate it.

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News

symonism

Postby symonism » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:41 am

PERFECT THANKS!!!
was really bugging me, couldnt find the files anywhere!

I love The Whitehouse level BTW well done.
TheCaptn

Postby TheCaptn » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:46 pm

Ok, after much trial and error I think I have the processes for each Multiplayer mode figured out (with heavy use of tips scattered around this forum, and lots of bugging Icebrain in IRC):

Charge:
- Place a move1 zone at the extreme left edge of the map and drop your Team 1 units into it.
- Lay vertical zones right down the height of the map in strips. Name them, from left to right: bidzone_0, bidzone_1, bidzone_2, etc.
- Finally place a move2 zone at the extreme right edge of the map and add the Team 2 units to it.

Disputed:
- Place as many zones named disputeExit as you want for escape routes.
- Place units for Team 1 and Team 2 as you would for a basic Extermination mission.

Hostage:
- Team 1 must be the hostage-takers and Team 2 must be the rescuers.
- Place a zone named Hostage which will be the safe-area for hostages.
- Place Hostage units (Team 2) somewhere within their safe-area.
- Place as many exit zones as you require, named exita (top), exitb (right), exitc (bottom) or exitd (left).
- Place a move1 zone over the safe-area and larger than it. Fill this with your hostage-taker units (Team 1).
- Place a move2 zone where you want the rescuers to start. Fill it with your rescuers (Team 2).

Secure:
- Place a whole bunch of bidzone_ tiles in likely locations all across the map (no numbering required, they all have that same name). These will form the zones that players bid to defend.
- Place a move2 zone for the bid-loser to spawn in (the bid winner can spawn anywhere within their bid).

Return to “Modding”