Textures?

Moderator: Admins

Miskatonic

Textures?

Postby Miskatonic » Sun May 29, 2011 11:15 pm

Hey hey, is there any mod-support for custom textures? Say I wanna texture the walls, floor and the characters. Is that possible? If not, will there be such support in future versions?
OPERATOR OPERATING IN AN OPERATION: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeFi-9PaAlI
icebrain

Re: Textures?

Postby icebrain » Mon May 30, 2011 12:30 am

There isn't unfortunately, it's blue, blue and blue.
When mode7 saw my White House map it made them discuss how they could allow for different textures - that's all we know.

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News

Miskatonic

Postby Miskatonic » Mon May 30, 2011 10:19 pm

Roger that. I hope they will support it, though I don't know if Torque can offer an expansive and painless modding platform.

Being a fan of neuromancer, indie games and tactical combat, FS is pure enjoyment for me. But being a graphic artist (I am also into game development) the lack of details makes me crave something more, and I am sure there are many more like me out there. It is only a matter of time before somebody copies the FS concept and puts it in a contemporary setting rather than cyberpunk and gain the edge over FS.

Supporting modding in the form of textures and models would also appeal to more people. I am sure many would want to create their apartment, school, mall, or whatever and duke it out with friends in there. Right now we can only create recognition with shapes, not with direct visuals such as textures.

I realize that the focus on the game is on tactics, but adding some nice graphics, dramatic particle effects and textured environments would only make it sweeter.
I am sure the dev team have a lot of guys lined up for graphics work, but I thought I would state that if they are interested I would love to help produce content in the form of textures for implementation in the game.
icebrain

Postby icebrain » Tue May 31, 2011 7:03 am

Miskatonic wrote:Supporting modding in the form of textures and models would also appeal to more people. I am sure many would want to create their apartment, school, mall, or whatever and duke it out with friends in there. Right now we can only create recognition with shapes, not with direct visuals such as textures.

I realize that the focus on the game is on tactics, but adding some nice graphics, dramatic particle effects and textured environments would only make it sweeter.

Yes, I explained that I length in my feedback (link in signature).

Here's what mode7's contracted graphic artist replied me on IRC this month about this matter:

IRC wrote:02:18:43: <icebrain> Chemeleon seriously is there anything about the map appearance that I can modify ?
02:19:17: <Chemeleon> its quite plain and reptitive atm, but obviously thats the goal, so I'd say if it plays fine, i is fine

Almost nothing has changed graphically concerning the game itself since the first beta over a year ago, as you can see from the oldest youtube videos.

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News

Miskatonic

Postby Miskatonic » Tue May 31, 2011 11:34 am

It is interesting that the graphic artist says the art is perfect as long as the game-play is good. The two things are completely divorced from each other, and it is the designer's role to make sure the core mechanics are as good as possible, while it is the graphic artist's role to make sure the graphics are as good as possible.

Good game-play should not be used to justify poor graphics.
And good graphics should not be used to justify poor game-play.

Not to bash the graphic artist, after all he follows orders from above. Either way it would be great if modding support for graphics was included since there is obviously a demand.
Scoregraphic

Postby Scoregraphic » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:51 pm

As a vote for the current textures: I like the minimalistic look which allows to focus on the main aspect of the game: tactics. What if you would have some good looking textures but don't see the enemy on the ground anymore? I think this would be a lot more fustrating.
icebrain

Postby icebrain » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:11 pm

Scoregraphic wrote:What if you would have some good looking textures but don't see the enemy on the ground anymore?

It would be a new mode between Light and Dark where you have to look carefully to find enemy units. I called it Camouflage mode and suggested it in my feedback (see signature).

Return to “Modding”