Extensive Modding (textures, sounds, etc)

Moderator: Admins

golumstoe

Extensive Modding (textures, sounds, etc)

Postby golumstoe » Tue May 31, 2011 6:37 pm

Will there ever be support for extensive modding?

Changing the animation and the textures of the maps and the units would be nice.

Also it would be awesome to tweak the orders we can give to the units. Like add something like "Suppressing Fire" where the unit will just randomly shoot in an area specified by the player.

Changing the sounds of the guns and adding sounds for footsteps would also heighten the player experience!

While I'm giving my opinions, I would like to say time limits for turns seems to be quite necessary. I don't mind if people don't even start their first turns or never finish the game. But I would like an option you can set for each game (5 second turns, 30 seconds turns, etc) to add speed, chaos, and intensity to each move you make. It will also see who can think on their feet and survive!

Also, the server you played on last time should be saved, so I don't have to look for it in the list every time I log in. That is if I can ever log in! 9/10 times I have trouble logging in and I resort to continuing with the single player campaign. Meh. I just want everything to load faster. Clicking on my profile shouldn't take over a minute to load, and when I have multiple games going on, it shouldn't take more than 10 seconds to jump between them, or there is no reason to play multiple games at once. Don't know if the server problem is easy to fix, but that's my take on it.

Thanks for reading!
teknoarcanist

Re: Extensive Modding (textures, sounds, etc)

Postby teknoarcanist » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:27 am

Timed turns would add a whole new level of intensity. Reminds me of playing Sleep is Death.
Krusty

Postby Krusty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:17 pm

I second timed turns. It will be invaluable for league games.
Join the Frozen Synapse League now!
icebrain

Postby icebrain » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:38 pm

Guys if you want speed get a real time game. The whole point of turn based is that there is no time pressure.
The only reason to time turns would be to make a game that both players have to finish before doing something else.

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News

teknoarcanist

Postby teknoarcanist » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Disagree, ice. It's not about playing quickly because turn-based is boring or anything -- it's about the increased pressure that having to think quickly puts on your game. Same vein as speed chess. It would just be a nice option. Wouldn't work for long games by correspondence, though.
golumstoe

Postby golumstoe » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Asking for timers doesn't mean we don't like the turn based aspect of it. Like others have pointed out, it adds a whole new level of fun to the game. Having all the time in the world, you can try every single possible moves you and your opponents can make. With limited time, you are forced to have some sort of intuition because you are not able to check every single move.

Of course some people won't like the timer idea. That's why there should only be an option~
Krusty

Postby Krusty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:14 pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with adding timed games if it's only an option and not a necessity. Regardless, there is nothing stopping the timer being hours, days or even weeks. A simple text box for the number and a drop down for minutes, hours, days etc shouldn't be too hard to implement. Players can just leave it blank if they don't want a time limit.
Join the Frozen Synapse League now!
Max

Postby Max » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:09 pm

A timer option would be great, particularly for tournament-based play like Krusty said.

See also: Timer-based chess

Return to “Modding”