Modding Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

r3spawn

Modding Frozen Synapse

Postby r3spawn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:47 pm

hey guys, I've been playing Frozen Synapse a lot lately and this morning I decided to take a look at the Frozen Synapse files and folders to see if the game could be modded. It appears to be possible to mod the game to a certain extent, there are image files and shaders that can be modified but that will only get you so far...

What I would love to do is to create a mod for FS which puts the player in a modern, urban environment where he has to play through scenarios similar to what you'd expect to find in a Rainbow Six game.

I do apologize for the awful photoshop work here, I whipped this up just now to try and explain what I want to do

In that scenario the player is clearing out a house full of known terrorists. Another mission might be to rescue hostages or defuse a bomb.

Now, here's the reason this isn't possible at the moment..

Unit textures can be modifed. Unfortunately the only texture map they have is a grayscale bitmap which seems to tell the engine how much colour should be on each part of the unit (and the gun). White being full colour and black being no colour. That means that the only thing we can modify on the units is how much colour they have. We can make them completely black... which isn't much use.

Effects can be modifed, such as the muzzle flare and explosions. Here I have replaces the explosion texture to create a more realistic explosion:

You cannot texture the floor nor the walls since they have no textures, so I'm guessing the colour information for the floor and walls are in the shaders they use.

The reason I want to mod FS is that the engine is absolutely perfect for tactical combat (duh). It really is a shame that you can't create proper mods for this game.

I realise this probably won't happen but I honestly believe that changing the game so that we can texture and mod it will make the game more popular and most likely result in some amazing mods being released.
r3spawn

Re: Modding Frozen Synapse

Postby r3spawn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:52 pm

The ground is essentially just a plane, yes? When you import a png file into the editor it uses red (255, 0, 0) to create walls and blue (0, 0, 255) to create boxes. Shouldn't it also be possible to project the rest of the png file onto the floor? We would be able to create the layout of the map (walls and such) and the ground texture in a single file.

The units are already UV mapped and so are the weapons. At the moment the texture file is used like a specular map and there is no diffuse (there's no need because the units are all red/green/yellow/etc)
parpel

Postby parpel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:36 pm

The reason I want to mod FS is that the engine is absolutely perfect for tactical combat (duh). It really is a shame that you can't create proper mods for this game.

I realise this probably won't happen but I honestly believe that changing the game so that we can texture and mod it will make the game more popular and most likely result in some amazing mods being released.

I agree,that could make the game much more attractive to other players (and me!)
katzi

Postby katzi » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:48 pm

I would be happy even to get possibility for changing game themes (like red mode) to gray/green etc.
per map setup option would be avesome too. then we could get further use of lightning: hiding in darkness?

Wait... am I daydreaming?

Return to “Modding”