Frozen Endzone July Update

For general discussion of Frozen Cortex.

Moderator: Admins

Paul

Frozen Endzone July Update

Post by Paul » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:25 am

Greetings,

We will be pushing an update for Frozen Endzone at the end of July.

We’ve also been working heavily on single player content which isn’t ready to release yet. I’ll talk about that a bit in a moment but first, here’s what you can expect in the update…

Change List

- OSX and Linux builds

- Completely overhauled AI including much faster performance and much more intelligent play

- Significant performance improvements: frame rate should be 50-100% improved on most hardware

- Big loading time improvements

- Major aesthetic updates and improvements including...
- new ball
- many new animations
- new throws, new catches, new tackles
- several new stadiums
- other minor graphical improvements with a lot more to come

UI improvements:
- throwing UI improved
- intelligent interception-radius rendering
- indicator for whether a move location is "safe" or not

- Minor rules changes to reduce the need to “keep playing when the match is clearly over”; other gameplay improvements

- Quite a few new gameplay options to play around with in the Custom Game editor.

- Some commentary improvements.

- Other minor changes

Single Player

Alongside this update we have been working on the single player game, which we think is a fantastic combination of a traditional season mode but with a much tighter structure, character interaction and potential for storytelling.

The main mode will feature 7 distinct AI teams, all with their own coaches. Each coach has a response to the player, ranging from hatred to admiration, and their dialogue will change based on this and your performance in the league. You’ll be playing in the Global Cortex League (GCL) against these teams and also in a series of specially crafted contests with hugely variable rules and player behaviour.

You’ll earn incremental stat upgrades and be able to customise your team; there will also be storylines and intrigues which happen within the league that will have a bearing on your progress. The coaches will each have a different agenda and occasionally will propose league-wide votes on rule changes which you can influence.

There will also be other leagues and tournaments where you can coach, as well as an ongoing background story which will progress across different playthroughs with different teams

We’ve been working on this a lot behind-the-scenes for a while and making progress on it is very exciting. This kind of gameplay isn’t something that will work with incremental updates, so you’ll have to bear with us as we polish it up to the level where we’re happy to show it to you.

Thanks very much for the support on Endzone so far: this game means a lot to us and we’re really pushing to make it as good as humanly (and robotly) possible.

Please follow me on Twitter and ask me any questions you have - http://www.twitter.com/mode7games
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
Clownie

Re: Frozen Endzone July Update

Post by Clownie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:42 pm

I have to say those UI improvements are very welcome, and I have high hopes for the graphical changes. Did you guys decide on whether to rename the game (and if so, how) yet?
xshadowtonx

Post by xshadowtonx » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:10 pm

Clownie wrote:I have to say those UI improvements are very welcome, and I have high hopes for the graphical changes. Did you guys decide on whether to rename the game (and if so, how) yet?
I'm guessing it's going to be Frozen Cortex, based on the post from April, and the name of the league; Global Cortex League

Can we talk about how sexy the aesthetics looks?
Neofelis

Post by Neofelis » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:45 pm

Support for new platforms and performance updates are always nice, UI changes seem very good, graphical changes or name change don't matter at all.

But I have to say, I'm slightly disappointed by the single player focus at this point. To me a proper tournament system for multiplayer would have been more important and urgent. That would help in keeping the community active while you work on the single player mode. Now I'm afraid it'll be very quiet until you get the patch out, and even the single player mode might not help much in keeping people online and playing against each other. This could mean months of very low activity, since at least I'm currently only playing in tournaments, which seem quite bothersome to keep running.

(But thanks to Jythier, there's at least one tournament to play in at the moment, even if it's running slowly and people are disappearing all the time.)

(PS. You should totally outsource the tournament system to a certain IRC resident.)
Nihm

Post by Nihm » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:09 am

Paul wrote: Thanks very much for the support on Endzone so far: this game means a lot to us and we’re really pushing to make it as good as humanly (and robotly) possible.

Please follow me on Twitter and ask me any questions you have - http://www.twitter.com/mode7games
Follow you on twitter? :roll:

Am I totally off base in thinking it's lame for a dev to refer their beta testers and dedicated community members to their twitter while addressing none of the questions, concerns, and tourney reports on the official forums?

Whenever someone posts in the forums the devs should get one of those absurd in game messages- "So and So wishes to speak with you" or whatever it is. But, like us, they'd know better- as soon as you switch the other person's gone.
Paul

Post by Paul » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:54 am

Twitter's simply the easiest way to contact me during the day.

I'm not normally the main point of contact on the forums and for support (that's Jimmeh) but as we get further along I'd like to hear from the community more.

What are the specific "questions, concerns, and tourney reports" that you feel need attention? If there are critical bugs there then we can look into it straight away. If there are general things you're worried about, I'll try to be better about discussing those with the community.

With regard to Neofelis' issue, the game will definitely have a tournament system for multiplayer. The point at which we develop secondary features like that does have to be later on in the process.

I understand it's something you want now but the entire basis of the main single player mode is something that's going to take priority over that. We're just wrapping up a load of absolutely vital changes (AI overhaul, other platforms and optimisations to name three), so that's where we are now. Enabling people to actually play the game *at all* and working on core parts of it have to be top of the list.

I definitely take your points about tournament and league systems helping the community - I'd really hope that we can get those in for launch this time as opposed to FS where they had to be added late on in a post-release update. So, sorry we can't get that out to you right now but it will happen.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:06 am

Hey guys.

I want to respond to Neofelis' point about MP features a bit - it's something that we didn't actually talk about in the main update.

This update is definitely the one that has least multiplayer focus - so I understand any frustration about that. However, most of the stuff we're doing for the single player campaign is actually directly relevant to multiplayer, as you'll be able to play it with as many friends as you like. So for instance, you can start the campaign and have the 7 AI teams and 4 friends and play a 11 match season with playoffs. Or you can not have the AI teams and have 32 human players and choose a specific format for the league (which is basically just a tournament at this point). You can have players get upgraded through the season(or not). You can have full control over the match format for each game, so you can design maps and rule-sets, or use any of the ones we design for SP, or just have the default one.

Unlike FS, where the tournament code was an afterthought, it really is central here and I'm designing it from the ground up to be a really significant MP feature that goes way above what FS had.

So: I promise that there's a ton of MP stuff coming, and I'm sorry that this update is a bit dry on that front.

Ian
Neofelis

Post by Neofelis » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:15 pm

Thank you very much, Paul and Ian!

As I'm multiplayer oriented in your Frozen games, I'm of course waiting for the multiplayer updates, but I understand you need and want to focus on single player at some point, and I'm not worried about that. I think the main problem has been communication - or the lack of it. If the two posts you've made above had been made a month ago, I'm pretty sure there would have been much less frustration among players.

But still, I'm happy that you have all this planned, even if it will take some time to reach it - and even happier now that you've taken your time to let us know about it in more detail.
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:05 pm

Appreciated as always Neo.

From now on I'll try to post at least every fortnight with features which I've been putting in and designing.

Ian
shatteredomega

Post by shatteredomega » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:28 pm

Do the gameplay changes include any balancing of the stats?

As has been previously discussed, at the moment INT is overpowered in defence and SPEED is overpowered in attack.
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:22 pm

I haven't looked at that yet - I'll try and get to it before this patch.
xshadowtonx

Post by xshadowtonx » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:44 am

I feel like burst really doesn't do anything. So people, including I, spread those points over to speed, and interception.