Split paths=more unpredictable offense strategy

For general discussion of Frozen Cortex.

Moderator: Admins

Stradyvarious

Split paths=more unpredictable offense strategy

Post by Stradyvarious » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:14 am

@mode7games,

Just an idea,
When you plot a path for your bot with the ball to run, you could have a second path branch off the main path set.
When your bot with the ball reaches the split in the path you could have it auto choose the safest path to take of the two.
Example, your bots running with the ball and an enemy bot is right in your path and your bot will definitely get tackled.
If there's a second path branching off the first path your bot could choose to follow the second safer path should it reach the point on the main path where the second path branches off. I believe this would make the game more unpredictable and the defense would be less certain what decisions the offense will take.
wonderhero

Re: Split paths=more unpredictable offense strategy

Post by wonderhero » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:59 pm

Stradyvarious, you consider that attack needs buff. Have you played against higher Elo players ? Try to see if you can predict their attack moves.
On some maps with full of walls I agree with you that is hard to advance with ball, but even in this situation there are some ways: collect some points or give the ball to your opponent throwing it on a strategic place.
Stradyvarious

Post by Stradyvarious » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:46 am

@wonderhero
What I,m saying is the defense bots have two actions available. They can stand still to block then decide to chase when in range of bot running with the ball. The bot running with the ball has no secondary actions to react to what's happening as the bots on defense. It will blindly follow its course regardless if it's going to be tackled. A possible second path for the running bot with the ball to take would provide another action .
wonderhero

Post by wonderhero » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:55 pm

Stradyvarious wrote:@wonderhero
What I,m saying is the defense bots have two actions available. They can stand still to block then decide to chase when in range of bot running with the ball. The bot running with the ball has no secondary actions to react to what's happening as the bots on defense. It will blindly follow its course regardless if it's going to be tackled. A possible second path for the running bot with the ball to take would provide another action .
Why you don't protect your bot running with the ball if you decide to run ? An unprotected carrier shouldn't have opportunity to react IMO. Would be too easy for attacker. Should be a team work not dribble.

Indeed the defense bots have two actions available. Usually I let the defender bot to chase, so is not so deep decision here.

But the attacker have two ways too: throw the ball anywhere in front or chose to be a carry runner. If he chose to run than he can try to make a safety way using "run" and "wait" order multiple times in the same turn protecting his carrier using at least 2 other bots: move first protector in front and wait a while, then move the carrier to that safety place, then move the second protector a little further and wait there a while, then move the carrier to that second safety place and so on.

Not to mention that a carrier with full Evade have more chances to pass near a stillness defender. Also attacker bot with full Resilience can force to pass through defense line because the stun duration is very short if he is blocked.

I see more opportunities for attacker than defender.
Stradyvarious

Post by Stradyvarious » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:17 am

Thanks for your tips wonderhero. I contacted Ian hardingham earlier and he thought the idea of split paths was cool and they tried that early in FS development but found it a bit complicated. I can see it would be a bad idea In a game that relies a lot on stealth and surprise by having a unit automatically hide or run from an enemy unit on site. I enjoy watching replays of mine and other games on FC especially when the runner is being chased and barely makes or almost makes it to the end zone. As running with the ball is a less used tactic when compared to passing, I'd like to see running with the ball be made a more used or attractive option. I have some ideas how this could easily be implemented and will be contacting Ian soon.
wonderhero

Post by wonderhero » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:11 am

Stradyvarious, don't get me wrong, I love your idea because usually I spend 1 hour to plan my attack per turn and I don't want to fail.

I'll rather use splitting path to cancel the long planed path of my ball carrier to the End Zone in this way:

My carrier will advance a little to a place protected by one of my bots (the distance will be such as to be able to submit turn) and wait there a while, then from this will be a split path:

1: First path (safety one): another wait order but for a long time till the turn is over (eventually, before this long wait order I move a little if is a constraint rule)

2. Second path: intermediate "move" and "wait" orders to reach the End Zone, using 2-3 protector bots like I described in my previous post

So, in this first time, before splitting path, my opponent already repositioned his defender bots. So the game will know if my ball carrier will be tackled or not before he reach to splitting path. If he will not be tackled then he will reach to End Zone. If he will be tackled then he will chose the safety path and this will give my another opportunity to plan all of these steps for the next turn and so on.

Of course 1 or 2 of my protector bots can be stunned, but I will take care those bots to have full Resilience so the multiple stuns will be less than one second each.

I will enjoy a lot as attacker (really no sarcasm), but for the defender will be another boring turn.
Ok the attacker will receive a nice buff but what can we do for defender ?
wonderhero

Post by wonderhero » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:27 pm

How about the same thing "split paths" for one of the defenders, the player will chose the unit ?
If that unit is about to be stunned on first path before "split paths" point then he will chose to follow the second path.
The game will be much more deep.