Some things I would like to see in Single Player Season mode

For general discussion of Frozen Cortex.

Moderator: Admins

Rawrster

Some things I would like to see in Single Player Season mode

Postby Rawrster » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:19 am

Hey, I picked this game up back in Dec. 2013, played it a bit an enjoyed some of the things there, but quickly drifted away from it. I decided to boot it up again now that is officially released and out on Steam. I have to say I am really enjoying all the improvements thus far. Full Match games feel great and I am loving the single player stuff. I just finished my first season in the GCL and I found there to be a few things missing as I played through.

The biggest thing is stat tracking. I'm not sure how well it would work with individual players, given how often they get replaced by newer models, but I would really like to see this for teams. Right now I can see overall team record, but I would like to see things such as Points For, Points Against, Passing/Rushing Yards Gained/Allowed, Turnovers, Touchdowns per possession, and Scoring Zones per possession. With stats like that in I could then go scout out the team I am about to play a bit. I could see, for example, that they really like to Run the ball and they also get a lot of interceptions defensively. I could affect the way I approach them on the field.

I would also like to see the schedule for the full season. This would allow me to refresh my memory a bit. How did the match play out when I played this team last time? I wonder how this team fared against this other team earlier in the year? Stuff like that.

This final thing is a bigger undertaking, but would offer up a nice twist. That is a Franchise mode that runs multiple seasons. You would likely want to rework player acquisition in this case. Instead of gaining money and purchasing players each game, Have a draft between each season where players could pick up another player or two. This would allow players to slowly build up their team the way they want it over time. You could possibly introduce things like trades and salary caps as well.

Anyway, just my two cents. I am enjoying the game and looking forward to the improvements the Dev teams brings about in the near future, particularly Multiplayer League play.
mark_valley

Re: Some things I would like to see in Single Player Season

Postby mark_valley » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:09 am

Completely agree with you. It would be nice to have some player/team statistics.

I think the players should be a little bit more "persistent". I feel that the actual player acquisition system is a little bit "cold" and too simplistic. I don't like the idea to simply delete the former player: sometimes he played an important role on your team in the past and it makes you care about him a bit. :)

I don't know the effort needed but the suggestion to go in the direction of a "manager game" seems very attractive to me. Maybe you could have more then 5 players on your squad and choose the 5 better ones according to your strategy before the match. Maybe players can become "broken" and will need some weeks to be fixed. Maybe some ways to buy/sell players to other teams and also to evolve the stats of your existing players as they play more and more (so you could buy a player for a cheap price and sell it for a large profit in the future). Of course this would all make sense only if you have multiple seasons.

As I said, I don't know if these suggestions can be implemented in the actual version but IMO the game would be perfect with then.
Rawrster

Postby Rawrster » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:47 am

I think it would be cool to have a larger roster as well. Maybe allow for 7 or 8 players on a roster. I would say allow you to swap out players between phases. That way you can put that player with a really high Int skill in while on Defense and swap him out with a good passer while on offense. It would give teams a bit more flexibility.
Keejo

Postby Keejo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:47 pm

The thing that is the most surprising to me is that it seems like AI teams don't buy new Robots.

Overall, what you guys are suggesting sounds pretty awesome and i agree with the most of the suggestions.

However, i don't really like the swap between phases, i mean, it sounds more challenging to make a team with pros and cons and having to deal with your choices, it makes each team/player having its own playstyle and identity. If this is implemented, everybody's gonna want to have this in multiplayer as well, and thus a somewhat dull metagame would come from that, everybody would play the same way, imo that's NO BUENO.

And also, player evolution sounds weird to me. They are robots, not human beings, they need to get upgraded to get better, they can't get better like a human being can do by working out. =)

Well everything is pretty interesting to read here tho, hopefully the devs will take a look on this topic.
mark_valley

Postby mark_valley » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:55 pm

Keejo wrote: And also, player evolution sounds weird to me. They are robots, not human beings, they need to get upgraded to get better, they can't get better like a human being can do by working out. =)

Well, they can have positronic brains with the ability to learn after new experiences and so they could use their gear better. :lol:

But it also may be nice if you could upgrade individual parts (or stats). Maybe with some mechanism to increase the cost of any subsequent upgrades so you will try to optimize your player thinking about a specific role instead of building super-generalistic players.
etemenanki

Postby etemenanki » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:06 pm

I'd like to see some mechanism that helps determine the layout of my players on the field at start of play, both for offense and defense. I don't even care about specific placement, but at least having my guy who is good at throwing be the one near the ball to start, and my blockers nearby while runners are the ones downfield. Something. I can tell there is some kind of organization as to the layout of the players as my number 1 player usually starts near the ball on offense, but it is undefined as far as I can tell, and everyone else seems a little more random.
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:10 am

Hey guys.

Some great ideas here - thanks for the feedback.

We're definitely considering a "Manager" expansion which would incorporate a lot of the stuff suggested here - will keep you posted on it.

Ian
BigBobr99

Postby BigBobr99 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Manager expansion would be just grea! I'll second some of the suggested above:

1. Season calendar to see all the scores of all matches played in the League and the upcoming games
2. Option to change robot positioning before the game
3. Some basis stats: goals for, against,# of touchdowns (passing\rushing)
4. AI upgrading their bots as well.

Return to “General”