Impossible Maps

For general discussion of Frozen Cortex.

Moderator: Admins

Mask9

Impossible Maps

Postby Mask9 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:23 pm

Hi Guys,

I don't know excactly how the maps are created in this game.
I mean I love this game but the last map i wanted to play was kinda weird :o
I had no chance to stop the attacker, because I couldn't get to the left side in time, therefore i lost (well i haven't played it yet, but i am sure i will lose, because like I said I just can't stop the attacker and i attack 2nd)

I hope you can do something about this so there won't be "impossible Maps" anymore.

Greetings,
Mask9
Attachments
2015-04-03_00001.jpg
This is the above mentioned map
2015-04-03_00001.jpg (230.65 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Jimmeh
Forum Wrangler

Re: Impossible Maps

Postby Jimmeh » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:08 pm

We don't believe that these maps are impossible. You can secure a draw by doing the exact same thing as your opponent in your turn or you can try for a win by grabbing a few extra bonus zones.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:36 pm

With the current Full Match rules that kind of map will probably run for 3 rounds, so whoever started the match on attack will win the game with two touchdowns. That's one reason why I'd prefer having Full Match really being a full match with both players attacking once, no turn-based end of round/match.
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:30 am

Jimmeh you have been right if all units had the same stats. So this map is unfair because the higher speed of left sides units win the match.
This case it's based on luck, not strategy.

Even would be the same stats, in a competition the players prefer a safety touchdown if exist. This means that this map will be a tie.

I agree with Neofelis, the start positions are wrong. Is not the first map that I met.
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:17 am

We do have a problem with this kind of thing, but it's a hard one to fix on the map-gen side, because doing a full AI analysis of a map during generation isn't really feasable. I'm open to any ideas.

Ian
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:10 pm

Omroth wrote:We do have a problem with this kind of thing, but it's a hard one to fix on the map-gen side, because doing a full AI analysis of a map during generation isn't really feasable. I'm open to any ideas.

The map design it's fine, only a little tweak of units distribution on horizontal line is necessary. Is it hard too ?

Let say we split the horizontal line in 3 locations: left, middle and right. How about the idea of making AI to plant one unit in each of locations. The other 2 units start positions can be random. Is it possible or hard to achieve ?
This map: 3 red units are in right side, 2 in middle and the left side is empty.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:59 am

Omroth wrote:I'm open to any ideas.

What I said in the third message: two-round full matches. (Preferably with no turn limit, or a soft turn limit that causes bots to get stunned forever/getting longer immunity after certain number of turns have passed to stop matches from going on forever.)

Then you'd just get ties with this kind of maps, which seems fine to me. Especially if it doesn't affect either player's Elo.

Return to “General”