Single player game suggestions wanted!

For general discussion of Frozen Cortex.

Moderator: Admins

Paul

Single player game suggestions wanted!

Post by Paul » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:58 pm

We're about to embark on single player stuff and we'd like some input. The game will be set in a futuristic world and you'll be taking part in a huge league with a lot of other teams. Players will have their own lives and get into trouble etc. off the pitch. There might be illegal modifications, gambling syndicates, conspiracies within the league...that kind of thing! We'd like some info from you: what kind of stories / crazy happenings / events would you like to see in the game? What would you like to be able to do as a coach: for example you could be called on to rig matches, bet on other teams, blackmail other coaches into giving you their players etc...let us know!
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
shatteredomega

Re: Single player game suggestions wanted!

Post by shatteredomega » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:33 pm

Are you thinking a single, defined campaign or a procedurally generated one with random team names, events etc.?
Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:13 pm

Well there will be defined teams and opposing coaches, but much of what happens will be emergent.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
Oinkersthepig

Post by Oinkersthepig » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:36 pm

I don't have a specific idea, but reading the reviews one of the knocks on this game is the immersion. Reviewers said they liked the name, but didn't like not knowing why it was being played. Some of the questions were what year is this, why are these robots playing football, why are the rules how they are, etc. I think the single player should do some history on the league (If that's what it is), and maybe give the game more life. It's a great game, very enjoyable, but I think these things could help.
Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:50 pm

There absolutely will be history on the league as well as significant lore / backstory.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
Ankon

Post by Ankon » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:11 pm

Is the shape going to be involved in the game? (I´ve always seen Endzone as a sport that could be played in Markov Geist).
Appart from advertising the league, the shape could be used to hack our or our opponents robots if we contact the right organizations to do so, aswell as protecting us against other teams hacker attacks.
I guess all this would fit in the illegal modifications part :)
Cheers!
Geoff

Post by Geoff » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:27 pm

As a coach, illegal/tampering opportunities would be hilarious and well-received. I also would suggest a path where you can play completely honourably and try to succeed against the evils and cheating from other teams - some gamers love the 'white knight' role too. Maybe some sort of morality compass?

As for events:
- have a player/robot take an intense dislike to the user's team and keep getting himself traded so he can constantly play against you?
- corrupt officials that let opponents run backwards when they shouldn't, etc
- first thing you should do is pick your colours!

The humour was great in Synapse, so I'm looking forward to the campaign
xshadowtonx

Post by xshadowtonx » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:37 am

I had a more written out respond but I lost everything I wrote, cause I got signed off.

Is the single player going to be over the course of one season or multiple season?

If it's one season, will there be a franchise / owner mode to be able to play multiple seasons?

Quick tidbits:

Poison pill contracts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shareholder_rights_plan
scroll down to sports, i'm sure there's some crazy/ over the type thing you can do out of that.

Parodies of sport scandals
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sporting_scandals

Coach/ Club
Reputation/ Morality systems
Depending on how you are, and the choices you choose plays into how the player reacts off the field, how other clubs react to you, and what sponsors you attract.

Conferences and Divisions.

Sport related Easter Eggs.

Coaches and players traits.

It be cool if players do non bad things to off the filed also.

You talk to players to get their back-story, also to coach them up.

It would be messed up if someone in your team sells the playbook before a big game.

Corrupted cops that roots for the home town team, locks up player on false account.

If I remember more, i'll be sure to post ;)

Hope you'll respond!
Nihm

Post by Nihm » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:33 pm

I'd like a tie in/window in to the world of multiplayer. Perhaps the an occasional 'update' from announcers about mp ongoings. I think some players are reluctant to dip a toe into the mp scene (for fear of brutal competition, disrespectful opponents, etc...), however hints at a broader game world might whet their appetites.
Templer

Post by Templer » Thu May 29, 2014 10:14 am

Much more text for the announcer.
Fleuri

Post by Fleuri » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:49 pm

It would be cool if team members would develop rivalries/feuds against each other. An on-going feud could add secondary objectives to matches that include feuding robots and those could award player for certain actions like roughing up the opposing rival or intercepting his passes/receives etc.

This could also be used outside actual matches e.g. rivals having a fight somewhere and having a chance to get hurt so that they'd have to skip the next match or perform poorly there/risk aggravating the injury.