Bug: update does not find current installation

Bug reports and technical support for Frozen Cortex.

Moderator: Admins

noiq

Bug: update does not find current installation

Postby noiq » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:53 pm

On Windows 8.1 with the latest version available at the Humble Store (md5: 2e7e714f7ae70a78de4cdfe6648ed08f last updated 2015-02-18) when starting "Play Frozen Cortex" or "FrozenEndzone.exe" the updater pops up, notifies about new updates being available, downloads the updates and then exits with the warning: "Previous installation of Frozen Endzone not detected. Please reinstall from fresh". Clicking ok opens a browser with the address http://www.mode7games.com/update.html which seems to belong to "Frozen Synapse".

Uninstalling and reinstalling the game does not change this behavior.

Workaround: use link "Play Cortex (Skipping Updater)" or manually start it with "-noupdater". I am not sure what the updates do but the client does not complain about a version mismatch.

A fix would be nice.
Jimmeh
Forum Wrangler

Re: Bug: update does not find current installation

Postby Jimmeh » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:33 am

The updater checks the registry to determine where the game is installed. It's possible that this information is no longer there (e.g. if you have reinstalled or refreshed Windows) or out of date (if the game has been moved to another directory or drive). You can fix this and get the updater working again by downloading the full installer and reinstalling the game. You can get a link to the full installer by visiting http://www.mode7games.com/support/endzone/getURL.php

Thank you for letting us know about the out of date information on the update page.

Edit: I have identified another issue which would cause this message to appear. It will be fixed for the next patch.
noiq

Postby noiq » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:20 pm

Since the workaround currently doesn't show any obvious side effects I will stick with it and wait for the next patch. It would be nice if you could update this post when the new version with the additional fix you added is available. Otherwise it is hard for me to know if the version I download includes this fix or not.

Thanks for your help.
Jimmeh
Forum Wrangler

Postby Jimmeh » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:23 pm

There is an update out now which should resolve this issue. It also adds the new Manager Mode.
noiq

Postby noiq » Fri May 01, 2015 10:17 pm

The new version no longer shows the updater first, probably since it is the current version. Just wanted to give this feedback that everything seems to work now fine again.

Thanks for the note and for the fix.

Return to “Technical Support”