Game crashes during the "Tourque" logo

Bug reports and technical support for Frozen Cortex.

Moderator: Admins

OnyxSeed

Game crashes during the "Tourque" logo

Post by OnyxSeed » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:04 am

Thats what happens every time I want to start the game.

System:

Windows 7 64 Bit
4 GB Ram
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.20 GHz
ATI Radeon HD 5770
Odilbert

Re: Game crashes during the "Tourque" logo

Post by Odilbert » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:18 am

Also had this issue here.

The problem was: The game has been executed by the Installer the first time. The (root priviliged) installer created some configuration and savegame files with readonly access for normal users. When I tried to start the game a second time (not via the installer, so without root priviliges), the game crashed after showing the logo, as you explained.

Workaround: Give full access to the Installation directory for regular users by setting the directory priviliges. I don't know if it might be enough to allow write access only for several files... I just granted full access for the full directory.

This is an issue that has to be solved quickly! The game has to use the home folder for storing files, that might be modified later after installation.
OnyxSeed

Post by OnyxSeed » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:27 am

Thanks Odillbert, giving full access solved the problem for me.

But as you said, this shouldn’t be a long-term solution...
Jimmeh
Forum Wrangler

Post by Jimmeh » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:48 pm

Hello!
The installer and game executable should be creating files that are modifiable by anyone in the 'Authenticated Users' group.

I am unable to replicate this problem when installing the game as a 'Normal User'. Can you give me any more specific information on how you have set up the users on your machine and where you installed the game to?
phildunstan

Post by phildunstan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:23 pm

I get the same crash.

I installed it with my normal Administrator account into C:\Program Files (x86)\Frozen Endzone (btw: the installer doesn't allow you to install into C:\Program Files (x86) easily. I couldn't create the target directory from within the installer. I had to create it externally in Explorer). I ran the installer as a normal program and was shown a UAC elevation dialog.

The game ran once from the installer. After creating an account I quit out of the game and tried to run it from the start menu. It now consistently crashes while the Torque logo is showing.

I have shared the console.log file and a zipped up .dmp file at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7bqzqix2hnns ... %20Endzone

Windows 8.1 64-bit
16GB Ram
Intel Core i7-47770 CPU @ 3.50GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (GeForce R331 Game Ready Driver)

Edit: If I run the game with Administrator privileges it does run to the menu screen.
2nd Edit: I've added a file_permissions.txt file to the dropbox share showing all of the file permissions in the Frozen Endzone directory.
Last edited by phildunstan on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzleface

Post by Grizzleface » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Happens to me too. To play I had to reinstall the game. Might work for others. But I'm going to be really annoyed if I have to do this everytime.

What a great investment.
phildunstan

Post by phildunstan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:47 pm

Grizzleface wrote:What a great investment.
I understand your disappointment Grizzleface, but stuff like this happens in a beta, especially in the first couple of days. I'm sure they will have it fixed for the release.
Gryffin

Post by Gryffin » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Grizzleface wrote:Happens to me too. To play I had to reinstall the game. Might work for others. But I'm going to be really annoyed if I have to do this everytime.

What a great investment.
Also had the same issue. Likewise, I reinstalled the game, and it fixed it.