I've made a list of bugs, design issues, and suggestions

Bug reports and technical support for Frozen Cortex.

Moderator: Admins

ItsComcastic

I've made a list of bugs, design issues, and suggestions

Postby ItsComcastic » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:27 am

Bugs:
    1. Sometimes you can't 'delete' paths. Last time I noticed this I was messing around with different paths after committing a turn. (I could still add paths but I couldn't remove any I placed)

2. After games my mouse cursor sometimes goes away, I get it back by pressing escape twice.

3. I had a game, ID:5007 where the other player was only able to throw once. I don't know if this is intended but the rules shown in-game don't mention this scenario.
    T1: pickup ball.
    T2: throw to ground, turn timed out.
    T3: pickup ball, cannot throw

4. If you copy/paste a game ID into search it'll go into the box like so: '2099 ' if you hit enter you'll see the game, when you try to load it you'll get an error:
    "That game does not exist on this server. You are only able to view games which were started on this server"
    If you search for '2099' that will find the same game and you can load it just fine.
    Notice the space on the end of the string

5. In planning phase I've had a guy chasing a ball carrier have a different outcome by removing his planned pathing (I didn't change the ball carriers pathing).. This shouldn't happen since pathing is ignored when the player is chasing the ball carrier.

6. When going to your profile the table defaults to active games but the table title stays whatever it was before you left the profile page.

7. When looking at a profile, pressing "Top Games" doesn't change the table title. Also, it's not clear as to what makes a game a 'top game', maybe this isn't an appropriate title for what it shows. As far as I know those matches could be in order of people with a higher ELO then me, or in order of most watched but I'm just guessing.

Suggestions:
    1. The UI on the bottom needs to show a time counter and player wait commands do too. It was really useful in FS and I think it would be very useful here as well.

2. V should show (with a color change or radius around waypoint) how far I can throw before it'll go into a second turn, currently you have to guess. Getting a throw to end in 1 turn is much better than getting to end in 2 in most cases. I don't know how many turns a throw will take until I actually have the ball there to try it. I should be able to see this before I commit myself to that choice.

3. Add ignore ball carrier (unless directly within tackle range). Aggro can sometimes be used to opponent's advantage.

4. Allow the second throw to be delayed. First one can be artificially delayed but second throw has to be instant. I could see this being too strong but not sure.

5. The waypoints should show a block radius circle. This allows you to position better when close to opponents.
    (This might add too much UI clutter, not sure)

6. Allow defenders to run out of bounds along the bottom, it'll prevent things like ID:2693 turn 3-4 where I managed to prevent him from getting to my ball carrier completely.
    (This is iffy, I haven't seen a game yet where a defender isn't placed on both sides of chokepoints at the start, he could have left a man over there. However I think chokepoints like this are op.)

7. With defenders nearby, 'chain blocking' for a runner is really really easy.. I'm not sure how this could be fixed, but it's not a 'fun' mechanic and can be frustrating.

Design issues (intuitiveness):
    1. Watching replays.
      The 'GAME' button at top left took me till just now to find and I only found it because I was making this list of issues and was clicking everything.
      I think naming it 'REPLAY', 'REPLAY OPTIONS', 'GAME OPTIONS' or 'CLICK ME' would make more people notice it. The name 'GAME' is too similar to 'GAMES' at the bottom left.
      I realize that this button is the same in replays as well as current games and I don't know if the game is made in a way that allows the button to act differently for replays or games, however 'REPLAY' can fit even for active games since that's how you would 'replay' the previous play (if you're on the second play)

Replays should start on the first play, not the second. (Don't know if this is possible due to game design)

The 'GAME' menu, or something like it, should show up automatically after a 'play' has ended, similar to Frozen Synapse.
      I think this is the best way for users to notice the upload to youtube feature.
      I just noticed Frozen Synapse had a 'GAME' button too but there was a non-issue since it had a menu open after a game.

If on the first play, this menu should allow you to get to the second play. Currently you just see the grayed out "Next Play" button.

If on Play 2, a PREVIOUS button on the left of turn 1 would be awesome.

2. Favorite a match.
      1. Not 'easy' to favorite a match. [Medium issue]
      You have to search for game to 'Like' it. Most users will want to 'Favorite' a match in their match history. There's no intuitive way to do this if the user never searched for a match.
      And If they have searched for a match you're assuming they noticed the 'Like' button and know that's the only way to get to it.
      This button should probably be added on the profile page where users can see their matches.

2. Inconsistencies in naming.. Do I 'like' the match or 'favorite' it? [Minor issue]
      Table is called 'Favorites', but I have to 'Like' a match for it be show up there.
      I was looking for a 'Favorite' or 'Mark as Favorite' button when I wanted a match to be in my favorites table.

3. Game Comments
      1. Only accessible via searching
      This button should probably be added on the profile page where users can see their matches.
      Users should also be able to see a comment count on the games via the match history table

2. When you search a game you can't see the number of comments a game has.
      I'm assuming everyone can see everyone else's comments (is this a correct assumption?)
      I can see on the search page how many 'Likes' a game has. Now I have a question...
      What do you think is more useful to see? Number of likes? Or number of comments?
      Number of likes means nothing to me because it's not going to effect my decision to watch or like the video BUT if I see there are 4 comments I'm WAY more likely to press the 'Show comments' button.
Audio Options
    1. Audio options behave interestingly if you don't apply the changes.. [Minor issue]
    All audio changes will 'stay' where you leave them as long as you don't go into a game or replay, once you do that things act funny.

1. SFX
      Go from 100% to 0%, don't apply, start game. Result: No SFX
      Leave game. Result: SFX at 0%
      SFX is applying without the apply button getting hit. This can be seen by changing it and restarting the game without hitting apply.

2. Music Volume
      Go from 100% to 0%, don't apply, start game. Result: No Music
      Leave game. Result: Music at 100% and you have now broken your in-game music volume. No more music in-game (even if you hit apply and/or change the %) until you restart.

3. Menu Volume
      Go from 100% to 0%, don't apply, start game. Result: N/A (but read #4 below)
      Leave game. Result: Menu volume at 0%

4. In-Game music issue?
      I've had the in-game music not start sometimes and I have 3 possible reasons but not sure which is the actual reason.
        1. It could have just been from me breaking the audio by messing with it too much without hitting apply.
        2. Maybe sometimes the in-game music just doesn't start.
        3. Setting the menu music to 0% might have some effect

I'm enjoying the game so far, I think it's more forgiving than Frozen Synapse is (less micro management) and I like that.

P.S. I hope a 'Hotseat' mode comes out. Besides allowing you to play with a friend local, this allows you to setup scenarios for trying out. This could also be lots of fun if you allow the player to modify rules, etc.
philb

Re: I've made a list of bugs, design issues, and suggestions

Postby philb » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:43 pm

P.S. I hope a 'Hotseat' mode comes out. Besides allowing you to play with a friend local, this allows you to setup scenarios for trying out.

That would be very nice. Hotseat modes are particularly good for playing with families at a shared machine.
I guess nothing much is likely to happen with Frozen Cortex now?

Return to “Technical Support”