Demo runs @ 7FPS on my brand new AMD Dual core. WHY??

Post your woes here and we will do our best to sort them out
FickSucker

Demo runs @ 7FPS on my brand new AMD Dual core. WHY??

Post by FickSucker » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:43 am

The demo runs like garbage on my computer, it runs at 7 frames per second even though I have an AMD dual core 4600+ with a nvida EN7600GT video card, meaning I should probably be able to run 2 or 3 copies of the game on max settings with no slowdown... what gives?

If the demo runs like crap, I won't consider buying the game.

---------
edit:
I tried the c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /AFFINITY 1 c:\pathtogame\game.exe fix but that makes it impossible to run the game. "failed to load main.cs".

Running it in windowed mode does not help, neither does turning the detail down to low. This demo is absoluteley unplayable for me.
Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:48 am

Hi there,

Sorry you're having problems with the demo - it definitely shouldn't be running that badly. We'll look into it for you ASAP.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
FickSucker

Post by FickSucker » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:32 pm

If there's any hardware info or some information dumps or something that I could give you, let me know.
Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:39 pm

We'll let you know - Ian should be around to take a look at things in a couple of hours.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:04 pm

Hey Fick.

Can you try creating a shortcut for this in the program files/determinance directory (important that it's run from there):

c:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /C start /AFFINITY 1 c:\program files\determinance\determinance.exe

(or whatever your paths are).

Let me know if you get anywhere with that. The "cannot find main.cs" error means the working directory is not correct, so running the shortcut from within the Determinance directory should work.

Ian
FickSucker

Post by FickSucker » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:11 am

Omroth wrote: Hey Fick.

Can you try creating a shortcut for this in the program files/determinance directory (important that it's run from there):

c:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /C start /AFFINITY 1 c:\program files\determinance\determinance.exe

(or whatever your paths are).

Let me know if you get anywhere with that. The "cannot find main.cs" error means the working directory is not correct, so running the shortcut from within the Determinance directory should work.

Ian

I was able to get it to work after some tinkering, but I had to make sure that:
1: The shortcut is in the game directory
2: that %windir% was deleted from the "start in:" line in the shortcut properties after the shortcut was made.
3: Make sure to edit the shortcut after it has been made and remove %windir% from the shortcut target and replace it with the correct path again.

After doing #1 I was still getting the main.cs problem, but after I also did 2 & 3 it was working fine.

For some reason, windows adds the windir stuff on its own and it has to be deleted for it to work.
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:59 pm

Very glad you got it Fick. Could you email me the shortcut you used so I can include it in the next version so other dual core guys can use it?

ian@mode7games.com

Thanks,
Ian
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:28 pm

I, too have a dual core system. The game runs at 3fps for 5-20 seconds, then runs smooth for the remainder of the session
FickSucker

Post by FickSucker » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:01 am

The shortcut has been sent. Please note that I use the directory c:\games\ for all my games.
JaguarUSF

Slow only with NVIDIA cards?

Post by JaguarUSF » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:40 am

I also had the change the affinity to just one CPU to get smooth gameplay.
However, this is only with my NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS video card. My old video card (an ATI Radeon X700) did not have this problem. Interesting, eh?
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:04 pm

Good info Jaguar, cheers. No idea what that's about, but I'll keep it in mind.
Jimmeh
Forum Wrangler

Post by Jimmeh » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:16 pm

So here're some instructions for making a shortcut that sets the affinity and you can have it anywhere you like. I have mine on the desktop.

Create a new shortcut, set the location to where you installed Determinance (e.g. C:\Program Files\Determinance\determinance.exe), click Next, pick a name (like 'Determinance Affinity Fix' or just Determinance, I guess) and then click Finish.
Now right-click on the new shortcut and change the Target field to be %windir%\System32\cmd.exe /C start /AFFINITY 1 determinance.exe and make sure the Start in field just below Target is set to the folder that has determinance.exe in it.